Scoping out a new life in Mexico

Hola!  My name is Diana.  I am a professional fundraiser who is now working in the field part time.  I am also a jewelry designer and am increasingly focusing on marketing my work.  My son is finishing college and I am ready to leave the U.S. as the proverbial empty-nest-er.  I will be using Puerto Morelos as a home base for the week I am in the Yucatan -- end of October/beginning November 2017.  I am a native New Yorker (West Village), have lived/worked in Paris, and have limited travel in Guatemala (from where I adopted my son as an infant).  I do not yet speak Spanish, but I will be learning.  I will be traveling around Yucatan as much as I can for seven days, scoping out towns for relocation sometime in 2018.  This is quite an adventure for me, but given my love of the Maya people and their culture, arts, struggles, etc., I believe I am on the correct tract for my next iteration in life!  Right now I am looking at arriving in Mexico with early social security income only.  At this point I am thinking of renting a home, not buying.   I hope my jewelry and fundraising skills may help me boost my income -- if only "under the table."  I have been reading extensively about the Yucatan and while "book knowledge" is one thing, the real thing will be quite another.  I'd love to hear any thoughts about my upcoming journey as I do not have any contacts in Mexico and I will be looking to forge some with expats for my Oct/Nov trip and expected return visits in 2018 until I find the right place to settle.  Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you folks.  Regards, Diana

Hello Diana,

Yes Mexico is quite an adventure, a busy adventure. 

My first suggestion would be to work hard on the Spanish, it will make your life much easier. Make connections with Spanish speakers more than english speakers. It would be cheaper to not move to a tourist or expat city, much cheaper. Perhaps some place like Progreso or cities close to there.  that would put you close to Merida which would make you feel more secure expat wise.

You should also familiarize yourself with the visa requirements. There are numerous posts on that topic as well as information on cities you might like, in the forum.
Progreso has some arts and crafts areas , as does Merida. I'm not sure if you could make a living with it though. Many cities have some arts and crafts

Buena suerte

Many thanks!  My first choice is to be on the water, preferable sea/ocean, not lagoon.  I am not eager to be in a colonial city or inland. But, never say never. I think this first trip down will help me decide to continue searching in Mexico or not.  Progreso did come to mind.  Again, thanks for your suggestions.  Best, Diana

Hola Diana, It appears you are far ahead of me in my journey to find just the right location to move to in a year or so and begin my expat life. I am an American with strong Italian and Mexican roots, and have always been drawn to both cultures, but Mexico is where I am headed. 

Because of my relatively tired knees (former running as we all were way back) and otherwise being very active, living on cobblestones has thwarted my interest in my first choice locale - San Miguel de Allende and therefore am interested in exploring other areas.  I am an avid Argentine Tango dancer, which is another draw to San Miguel de Allende, as I will be in town for the annual Tango festival.

I two upcoming trips to Mexico - one to Guadalajara for a wedding first weekend in March - so may check out Aijic nearby while I am there - as I haven't been there for 10 years.  My second trip, I already mentioned above. Since I have pretty much ruled out as a viable expat location, am thinking of checking out Cuernavaca for 2 days OR perhaps Veracruz or Merida.

Like yourself, the Mayan culture strongly attracts me. I know it's asking a lot, but would love any insight you are willing to share with me.

Warm regards from Santa Cruz,  Sandi