Moving to PR

Hello!

Moving from Iowa to Puerto Rico this fall. My husband and I are beginning our search in the Dorado area, but I would love any other there recommendations for safe, fun and a sense of community. I speak polite Spanish and like to stay involved in social and community based projects. We are an active couple, love the ocean, snorkeling, scuba, golf, hiking etc. hoping to find a home in an area where I don't need to rely on a car, as I prefer to bike or walk.

I hold a masters in education but we are relocating for my husbands job. I don't have employment lined up, but hoping to utilize my skills in a school or instructor position.

We also have a dog (Scottish terrier) who we are trying to figure out the logistics of bringing him down.

Any suggestions of places to live would be most beneficial right now. We head down the first week in August to start our home search, but want to relocate by October one.

IowatoPR wrote:

Hello!

Moving from Iowa to Puerto Rico this fall. My husband and I are beginning our search in the Dorado area, but I would love any other there recommendations for safe, fun and a sense of community. I speak polite Spanish and like to stay involved in social and community based projects. We are an active couple, love the ocean, snorkeling, scuba, golf, hiking etc. hoping to find a home in an area where I don't need to rely on a car, as I prefer to bike or walk.

I hold a masters in education but we are relocating for my husbands job. I don't have employment lined up, but hoping to utilize my skills in a school or instructor position.

We also have a dog (Scottish terrier) who we are trying to figure out the logistics of bringing him down.

Any suggestions of places to live would be most beneficial right now. We head down the first week in August to start our home search, but want to relocate by October one.

Hello! :)

Is your husband's job in the San Juan area or can he work from anywhere? 

My husband and I moved here for his job last fall and we are very happy in Palmas Del Mar in Humacao.  You can definitely get by living here with minimal Spanish and although it is a resort, there are plenty of full timers here and a definite community.  There is a school, church, plaza, many restaurants, walking trails, and lots of different neighborhoods with different feels. You should definitely come check it out when you are in PR!

Donna forgot to tell you that in Palmas Del Mar most people use a golf cart to move around. There are homes to rent and buy, little Spanish needed in there.

Before we can advice you we need to know what town he will be working at.

As to car, most places in PR you need a car to go to most places, only the Metro area has public transportation.

Biking, it depends where you live and where you are going. It can be dangerous to bike outside of your neighborhood, drivers are not paying attention.

Thank you for the responses! My husband will work from home and I will not have a job to start out until possibly next year- but it's not imparative that I have employment.  We will have a car transported to PR (well aware of the import tact) and I really only want to have one vehicle. We live in the Midwest now and I really want to simplify life when moving to the island. We will purchase a golf cart for the purpose of golf and to get around. I want to be able to ride a bike to get groceries or to gym etc. any additional suggestions would be great!

IowatoPR wrote:

Thank you for the responses! My husband will work from home and I will not have a job to start out until possibly next year- but it's not imparative that I have employment.  We will have a car transported to PR (well aware of the import tact) and I really only want to have one vehicle. We live in the Midwest now and I really want to simplify life when moving to the island. We will purchase a golf cart for the purpose of golf and to get around. I want to be able to ride a bike to get groceries or to gym etc. any additional suggestions would be great!

Sounds to me based on what you stated that Palmas Del Mar is likely to be the best place for you.

You can safely bike inside Palmas and also use the Golf Cart. When you want other supermarkets or different banks, then drive the car.  Humacao has good hopital and several large strip malls with just about anything you can think of. You have marinas and also Fajardo town and its marinas are close by with Feries to Culebra and Viequez islands. You can also take trips from Fajardo to many little mini islands and go snorkeling or Scuba. Fajardo is the gateway to the virgin islands.

IowatoPR wrote:

Yes, as Rey said- lots of people use golf carts to get around in Palmas :).  There are two golf courses in Palmas as well as an equestrian center.   There is a small market in the Plaza where you can pick up some groceries and essentials but to get to Walmart or the main grocery stores you would need to take the car.  There is a small fitness club within Palmas and another small gym at a spa here too.  Oh, and there is a marina.  The beaches here are not the best for swimming but Luquillo and Fajardo have nice swimming beaches and are half an hour away or so.

We have great neighborhoods in PR that are Accesible to mostly everything. If you're looking to simplify things in PR like I just read, there's also great choices for you too. All depends on your needs and budget.

In case you are considering moving to Palmas and also take actantage of act 20 or 22 check this group in FB "Palmas del Mar Act 20 & 22"

Not sure if this helps, but....we brought our cat with us and we flew Southwest when moving here...had to buy their approved soft sided carrier for $75 and it cost another $95 to have her ride under the seat...but they did not ask for any paperwork, and there is no customs here so we simply walked off the plane with her to the rental car ....
(When we went thru security in Denver, we did have to take her out of the carrier and hold her while the carrier went thru the X-ray, and they swabbed my hand...)
But all in all easy peasy!  Not sure the protocol with dogs(?)

what are the schools like there? and standard of education??
I am considering moving there from South Africa.

karisverre wrote:

what are the schools like there? and standard of education??
I am considering moving there from South Africa.

You will need to get a visa to move to the USA.