Travelling with 2 dogs to Malta from UK

Hi. I will be relocating to Malta May 2018. I an planning on leaving U.K. In December 2017 and staying in France for a few months first.
I am wondering if anyone had recently travelled down from the Uk and what recommendations are via each country.
My vet had recommended DEFRA website but also someone else's personal experience would be helpful
Many thanks in advance
Rachel

this has been covered a lot you can just search here.

- get a eu pet passport
- notify maltese when you arrive they meet you and health check the animal.

EU passport is standard everywhere so just ask your vet

I've got the passport ready . My own vet has been more than helpful with advice, however he thought it would be advisable to ask the question to someone who has recently covered this journey.
In case he had missed something.

You have to advise Malta government vet, via the form on their website, of your arrival date and time so he can meet you at the ferry terminal. He will then check the pet passports etc.

Exercise your dogs before getting on the ferry as they will be confined to the car for the journey.

Don,t forget that worming must be done within 1- 5 days prior to your arrival date/time into Malta.

Terry

Thanks Terry.
The worming seems to be the biggest thing.  I will be in France for a few months so will get it certified there before we start the journey.
I heard about the sandfly from Maltese friends , with different approaches of what they do.
Have you had any experience of this immunisation or know of anyone ?

sandfly immunisation is not guaranteed you have to do basically all the things, collars, fan where they sleep, don't go out certain times of the day etc

the vets here are most knowledgable and they even do house calls

Re sandfly immunisation:

We are awaiting confirmation from our UK vet to see if we can get hold of Letifend here before we fly ours over.  It's a single-shot immunisation which requires a yearly booster, developed by a Spanish laboratory called Leti.

There is also the older vaccine, called CaniLeish. This requires three initial shots with a yearly booster. There are some horrific stories online about the side effects of this vaccine. Smaller dogs can be impacted more by the side effects.

Letifend is a newer vaccine. Like CaniLeish, It should be paired with a Scalibor collar and suitable spot-on treatment (Vectra 3D is one which is recommended by Spanish vets) to achieve maximum efficiency.

Nothing will keep your dog 100% safe. The LetiFend/collar/spot-on combination seems to present the lowest risk factors for both animal welfare and disease prevention.

It is worth reading up on the two vaccines to inform any decision you make.

This paper is from a Maltese vet...

http://www.vetmalta.com/leishmaniasis-o … ly-disease

Only ever seen one dog that the owner said had caught the disease.
Plenty of dogs in Malta that have never caught the disease so just take sensible precautions and enjoy the time with your dogs.

Terry

We took our dog with us from Scotland, as long as your pet passport is complete and you have filled in the form informing of your intention to take dogs with you, then best thing is to get in touch with local Vet when you arrive, if you know where you gonna be staying then check online for nearest vet before arrive. If you're planning on staying here you have to register dogs anyway, the vet can do that for you, bring all pets paperwork with you, they will register them as permanent and you will get confirmation number, bit like resident ID number but for pets. They will also give advice as to best sandfly treatment for your dogs, age, size etc are factors. No need to worry before hand. If you use flea treatment at home, best to try time it so treatment due again after arriving. We used spot on in Scotland, and use something similar here. Been here 18months and no problems.

Thanks for all the info.
Kiwi Dan thank you for all the specific information.
My girls having their rabies done on Monday so will ask the question then.
My vets been good so far, just want everything right for them and their new life

Hi Rachel

We just moved to Malta yesterday from the states with our two yorkies. The authorities here are super friendly and helpful. Their agent was waiting for us on the other side of baggage claim with all the paperwork we needed (and got help completing) It was the easiest we have ever had to navigate. If we can be of help, please let us know!

Hi!

We drove with 2 dogs from Scotland through France to Malta. If you have any questions just send us a message we will be happy to help :)

Thank you !! We staying in France for about 5 months before we travel down. Quick question did you need prove of worming travelling over to France from U.K. Or just Italy to Malta ?

UK to France no checks,
Italy / Sicily checked in Malta.

Terry

Thanks Terry 😊

Hi,

We recently did this journey with our shih tzu.  We moved at the end of May and drove through France, Italy and Sicily before catching the ferry to Malta.  Took us five days.  Happy to chat if you need some advice.

Regards
Beverley

Thanks Beverley ! Hope your settling into Malta well . I can't wait to get there ☺️

Hi guys
Hoping for some info, we are relocating from Birmingham UK to Malta with our pug & shar pei we ideally would like to fly the dogs over as I've got 3 sons too and we'd practically need a mini bus to get us all over comfortably does anyone have any info on flying the dogs and how to get their passports sorted how long it takes etc?
Many thanks x

Hi,

We did the same journey from Wolverhampton last May.  PM me if you want and I can go through some things with you.  We took our shih tzu dog and had to fill in the forms and send to Malta in advance, and make sure he has the tapeworm jab and rabies injection etc.

We drove down to Folkestone, stayed overnight in the Holiday Inn by the Channel Tunnel, went to a local vet there to get his tapeworm treatment done.  Then went to Calais through Eurotunnel, drove about 7 hours or so through France, near Bourg en Bresse, where we stayed overnight.  We chose the route to drive down the length of Italy, having two overnight stops, then crossed to Messina in Sicily by ferry, drove to Pozzallo and stayed overnight there, before catching the early ferry to Valletta the following day.  So 6 days travelling altogether! 

Coming back we took a different route, getting the ferry to Genoa, and that was much better!  Cut out driving the length of Italy which my husband was pleased about!

Where are you staying in Malta?