Toll tag reader in car not read properly, received 8 fine letters.

I bought the toll tag square piece for my car, and thought it was deducting as I went through tolls.  Apparently it wasn't always working, as I found out recently when they sent me 8 letters in the mail for running the toll without paying.  Since I had plenty of funds on the card, the "running" of the tolls was unintentional.  Each fine is $15 plus the cost of what the toll would have been like $1.20, so $16.20 per letter.

What bothers me is that the first one was from May, but they only sent all the letters to me postmarked July 8, about 2 months later, which means they processed them in bulk.  Had they sent the first letter immediately back in May, I could have dealt with this issue when there was only 1 running of the toll.   In fact, there may be 10 more fine letters coming to me in the future, that they might not process for another 2 months.

What are my best options to resolve this?

1  I know I can simply pay in full, without disputing anything, but that doesn't seem right or fair, since I thought I was doing the right thing.
2  Should I call them or go to an administrative office?   Which office if I do that, near San Juan or Bayamon is where my main driving route is along PR 22 or PR 2?    What is likely to happen if I call or go to an office, in terms of what they will do?  Will they erase all the $15 fines and just charge me for what the tolls should have charged?
3  Should I have a PR traffic lawyer deal with it?   If so, which one?
4  Some other solution?.

I would suggest going in person to the local office and arrive early, it may be a long wait. The toll system does not always work correctly.

Auto Expreso
Metro Office Park STE 106, Primer Piso
Guaynabo PR
888-688-1010, 787-620-7046
M-F 8-6, SAT 8-2
www.autoexpreso.com
[email protected]

Paying it in full doesn't solve anything... there will be an AMNESTY pay period and you will get a discount...    did you register the tag on line AND on the phone??? some of these workers are NOT all the brightest crayons in the box... you have to register the tag and the Credit Card associated with that tag for payment usually with a live person.  and hope they get the numbers right.

We're moving WHERE? wrote:

did you register the tag on line AND on the phone??? some of these workers are NOT all the brightest crayons in the box... you have to register the tag and the Credit Card associated with that tag for payment usually with a live person.  and hope they get the numbers right.

Hmm.. I registered two cars on the same account online and I activated automatic payment. Never talked to anybody from Autoexpreso on the phone and I haven't had a problem ever since this system was implemented.

Bonu's advice looks like the way to go. Go to the office, bring all the proof you have and you should be able to get this resolved.

As long as the car is registered with the tag and there was funds on the account, you should be able to get the charges dismissed and only pay the toll cost. I read on FB of this happening to some folks before, some tolls had been malfunctioning.

Of course this means waisting a day at the offices to get it resolved.

I am curious. When you went thru the toll did the light flash green or red?

Mrkpytn wrote:

I am curious. When you went thru the toll did the light flash green or red?

Some of the ones fron Ponce to SJ do not have a light. I believe the one closer to Coamo is that way.

Since you are talking about tolls, here is a piece of info.

A band is going around stealing cars, then going to supermarkets and malls looking for a similar car, then taking a foto of the plates. When they get back they print out a plate on a sticky material and use that printed sheet to lay it over the plates of the stolen car. If they park and get a ticket it is based on the plate, guess who get the bill?
They also use the toll roads all. the time, so who gets the bill for that?
You.
The stolen car with your plates are used for many other crimes including gang wars

Beware, it is rampant and it is hard to fight because the car is like yours and the plates match yours.

Maybe this is what is happening to you.

Im kind of confused. If I bring my car am I required to get this device on my truck or can I just pay the toll when passing threw it?

khaecollins wrote:

Im kind of confused. If I bring my car am I required to get this device on my truck or can I just pay the toll when passing threw it?

If you are going to use the toll roads you are required to have the tag.

You cannot pay the exact toll at the toll booth. The minimum they accept is five dollars and they do not give change.

That sounds like a ripoff, Frogrock, wow!

frogrock wrote:

You cannot pay the exact toll at the toll booth. The minimum they accept is five dollars and they do not give change.

Plus that there are more and more toll stations where you can't pay at all.
Getting the tag is the way to go. :)

Trying to get through to Autoexpresso is a joke. First I tried in English and I was on there for about 10 mins with no answer. Then I tried the Spanish option with the same result. So I hung up. Maybe if I am out in the Guaynabo area, I will stop by.