Drivers licence

Will my SA drivers license be valid if I want to move to Mauritius

according the Traffic Branch Mauritius Police website

"International Driving Permit

Any person holding a valid International Driving Permit or Driving Licence issued by a competent foreign authority shall not be required to pass a test.
Any such permit or licence shall entitle the holder thereof to drive within the State of Mauritius any vehicle of the types specified thereon. Provided that, when such permit or licence is valid for more than three years at the time of the registration thereof in the State of Mauritius, such permit or licence shall only be valid in the State of Mauritius for a period of three years."

Thanks  Leslie
Appreciate  a lot

but if you are not sure check with a local police station to be safe and sure . with the silly excessive number of accidents here now you will see many many random checks being made on vehicles and drivers now. you could be stopped at random any time for no reason whatsoever so you need always to carry your license with you i believe otherwise it may be classed as an offence, not sure on that one but a policeman friend told me to do that.  also make sure your vehicle has the insurance vignette on display for same reasons. in uk and i think they are starting to do this in Mauritius is that they can scan the number plate of the car and find out details about tax,insurance,safety certificates etc . its called ANPR but of course for the person they will do a license check.  i don't think here you get like in some countries a grace period to produce your documents at a police station within a period normally 7 days.

Thanks a lot.

We drive with our UK licences - never a problem when stopped by the police (numerous times in the past years)

I remember there was a discussion on this forum a few years ago and the French version too when they were saying we would all have to eventually apply for Mauritian licences.
AFAIK nothing materialized but some expats did get their Mauritian licence from Line Barracks in Port Louis.
I remember it was controversial at the time.

It is quite possible that a UK License is always going to be ok as well as other countries that drive like Mauritius on the left.  Maybe with some EU countries and USA because they drive on the RIGHT that maybe the MPF feel that after a period they should be tested for competency on LEFT side driving

South Africa drives on the left if I recall from my trips there?
Found that old thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=227250

I'm pretty sure it will be but i'm not sure for how long. Once you;re here just go to the Line Barracks in Port Louis to get more information.

Hi All
Just want to know if I apply for a non retirement  permit I understand that I need to pay 40 000 UD annually  into a bank account for 3 years.  After the 3 years when I want to apply for  permanent residence  for 10 years do I still need to pay 40 000UD annually  for 10 years.

Thanks for the advice  in advance.

Thanks  for the advice