Furnishing my Unfurnished Apartment

Hi Everyone,

I'm just sharing my experience here.  I've moved to Tarragona from Western Canada.  I'm here on a study VISA, while my husband is working and travelling around the Mediterranean on business.  We rented a 3 bedroom flat, which was unfurnished.  Since we sold and donated our furniture in Canada before our move, I was tasked with furnishing the flat while my husband was in Malta, I have no vehicle, and I was by myself.

I was able to place an order online with IKEA and they delivered everything to me.  Here are the instructions:
1) Set up a Spanish IKEA family account to make sure you get the discounts.  IKEA Family Spain
2) Set up a profile on the main IKEA site.  If you do not have a profile and you don't log in, you cannot put anything in the Cart. You will need to enter your identification number (NIE), but I was told that a passport number may work.   http://www.ikea.com/es/es/catalog/allproducts/
3) Shop online and add items to the cart.
4) Proceed to checkout.  It allowed me to use my Canadian Visa with a Visa verification step.

Now, I also needed to buy home electronics.  So, Media Markt also delivers.  On this site, you don't need a profile to put items in the cart.  http://www.mediamarkt.es/, however, the site would not accept my Canadian credit cards.  Here is the work around. 
1) set up a Spanish PayPal account. www.paypal.com/es - the site will only accept Spanish Paypal accounts.  I initially tried to use my Canadian account.
2) if you have a Spanish bank account, you can transfer funds online from your Spanish account to Paypal.  It takes about 3 days.  Then, you can purchase online.
3) If you have a foreign Paypal account, you can transfer to the Spanish Paypal account (send money to yourself), which can be done instantly and will allow you to make the purchase online.  Again, you will need to enter your ID number for the purchase (NIE)
4) when they deliver, they will remove the packaging and set it up for you, assuming you choose the correct delivery option.

I assume that there are other companies that you can buy online for delivery as well.  I know JYSK delivers, but I haven't looked at their website.  Both have delivered to me within 24 hours.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marni

Marni,

Thank you for the very useful information!  I'm looking to move to the Catalunya area in August/September, and I'm wondering if it is better to rent furnished or unfurnished.  Your post is most appreciate and welcomed.

Have a great stay in Spain!

Lita

Thank you. Very useful post