Living in Texas

You are an expatriate living in Texas, or you used to  work and live in Texas.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Texas?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Texas?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Texas?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Well, to happily live in Texas, you must like hot weather.
Texas is a state that offers variety in almost everything.  It is one of the richest state of USA and one of the best states to weather situations such as the present economic crises.  It is affected of course, but no as much as other states. 
Texas is also  consider a conservative state.

Texas is a good place to live for economic opportunities, housing, and affordability, but it is true that this state is in some ways less cosmopolitan and international, so it can be a bit lonely as an expat. The conservative culture is very, very different from Europe, so be warned! :)

I am happy with my life in Dallas-Texas.  A growing city!  Very clean! Jobs opportunities! big houses at an affordable price, people are nice, friendly. Weather is great! Is getting more and more international, and the liberal vibe is coming here too :)

What is the weather most? Hot, rainy?
Not so much ago I saw video on National Geographic that goverment want to build gigantic shield over Houston, because to safe city from huricanes and pollution. I think it's quite stupid, to live under shield.
Oh and they said that every year average temperature in Houston are growing too fast.

Hi papuagirl
   I think Texas is a good place after saw your message.and your photo is pretty,I like it.do you mind making friends with me.
  First, let me introduce me first.I am a chinese man. I am 26.I live in shanghai of china.you are my first U.S.A friend.I am curious about your life in U.S.A. I think it is different from china.
  my hometown have many beauty spots.the air is fresh.and have 5000 year culture.I would like exchange different ideas with you. may I have your e-mail address?
  thank you

Best Regards
  Bill

Papuagirl wrote:

Texas is a good place to live for economic opportunities, housing, and affordability, but it is true that this state is in some ways less cosmopolitan and international, so it can be a bit lonely as an expat. The conservative culture is very, very different from Europe, so be warned! :)

i am arriving the next week so for the moment i can't tell you my impressions :D

Hi all
I am an "Afro-French", I'm 27. I live in Rennes for my studies and my family lives in Paris.
I'll make a post-doc in Austin in October, with Professor Bard. I want a flat but I know nobody in this city.    
Can you give me some information to find an apartment?
Thank you

Hello kwami !!
I am a French Recent Graduate in Electronic Engineering and I will have (in a few days I hope) the choice between a  definitive job offer in Grenoble (a "CDI" in French) and a V.I.E offer at Austin, Texas (start in 2010).
I have never been in the USA. What do you think you will do ??
Pierre

Texas is definately affordable but not very cultural.  While we do have some diversity, being so close to Mexico, the diversity can be somewhat limited.   It is hot here and, in my opinion, it can be rather boring unless you enjoy sun, lakes and outdoor activities that include sports.  This is a great state for finding employment though.   People are very friendly so finding friends really isn't hard.   The state leans towards conservative views and we are in the "Bible belt" so it is hard to live here and be of liberal view points.

A recently released survey ranked Texas No. 1 in the nation for growth rate and household income, recognized Hispanic households as the segment of the population with the most significant increase, and included four areas in Texas that are among a list of nine of the notable high growth areas in the United States.

Two are right here in Houston. :)

There seem to be quite a few generalizations in this thread.  I am not an expat in Texas, I am a Texan who is currently an expat in France, but I thought I would add my 2 cents.

Texas is hot:  Some parts sure, but given that Texas is bigger that any country in Europe, it has some variety in weather.  I enjoyed a white Christmas in Dallas last year, and when I lived in San Antonio for 6 years we never even saw snow (although we had ice once).  Generally the further east and north you get, the more humid it gets, and the more south and west you get, the more arid.  Places like El Paso can be freezing after the sun sets for a decent part of the year, and places like Brownsville almost never get cold.

Texas is not very multicultural:  Texas has 4 of the biggest cities in the USA (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) and those cities can be pretty multicultural, although hispanic and texan culture dominates outside the big cities.  Houston has the second largest Vietnamese community in the US, and there are probably more Asian people in Houston than Paris, France (a city of 6 times as many people).  In fact, non-hispanic whites are the minority in most large Texan cities, so I would say that it is in fact quite multicultural, just maybe not the cultures you are expecting.  I have the same feeling here in Lyon.  Lyon is quite multicultural, but it is mostly North African/Maghreb or Eastern European type cultures that I am not very familiar with, so I see the lack of Thai, Mexican, Korean restaurants or shops and think this place is not very multicultural at all.

Texas is conservative:  Overall this is quite true (especially by European standards), but Dallas is pretty half and half democrat/republican these days, Austin is quite liberal, and Houston just elected an openly gay female mayor!  Every city in the US outside of San Francisco is probably conservative by French standards though :-)

I lived in Texas for most of my life, though I'm now an expat in Canada.

Texas' weather varies a lot depending on what part of the state you choose to live. However, all areas get pretty hot during the summer, and its pretty intense to people who haven't dealt with extreme heat. We deal with summer like people with a "real" winter deal with the intense cold: stay inside, or find ways to embrace it. In Austin, we'd take trips to Schlitterbahn, go tubing in one of the rivers, or just stay inside during the worst parts of the day. People exercise or walk their dogs early or late in the day, otherwise its just too hot to do much outside.

North Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth & all the suburbs) does have quite a bit of cultural offerings like art museums, concerts, plays, etc. Fort Worth is especially great for kids; the Fort Worth Zoo is fantastic.

Central Texas varies widely; Waco is one of the more politically conservative places I've ever been, and Austin is by far the most liberal place in the state. Honestly, I love Austin and could happily live there the rest of my life. I would imagine an expat living in Texas would probably be most comfortable in Austin. Housing in Austin is definitely more expensive than in most other areas of Texas, though. We are far enough north to not deal with hurricanes, though its about where Tornado Alley begins.

South Texas (San Antonio, Houston, & the coast): When I think San Antonio, I think Tejano culture, tourism, and the military. Houston isn't my cup of tea personally, but because its a port city, there are many more immigrants from Asian countries. The Houston-area also has a good deal of art, music, theater, etc. to offer. Houston and the surrounding coastal cities are very humid and wet, and

West Texas is quite dry, very hot, and especially in SW Texas, is very Hispanic culturally. I'd consider a solid knowledge of the Spanish language a must-have in that area. East Texas is fairly wooded, and pretty rural. Not a ton of people in either of these sections of the state.

I'm from San Antonio and grew up here.  I lived in Europe for seven years. Texas offer's many opportunities for jobs, affordable housing, culture, site seeing from all types of tourist, and the people are very nice for the most part as long as you are not in a traffic jam. If I had to choose one place that stands out among any other cities in Texas I would choose San Antonio for the culture, jobs, housing, and people seen nicer in San Antonio. I've been to all the other big cities in Texas and SA is home.

Like they say, Texas is like another country.

Enjoy your stay.

Some cities expensive, some not.  Austin is expensive to live in (renting), Ft. Worth is much lower.  If you like long, hot, humid summers, San Antonio is a good place.  Ft. Worth is not so humid.  Houston is much further south so has a longer summer.  All these cities have a mild winter. Almost everything is air conditioned though, all over the state. Small towns are most cheapest in rent costs but fewer jobs.  You could live in a small town and drive to work in a large one.  Gasoline is much lower here than in England.  In general, Texas people are friendly.  Public transportation is often a problem in Texas, particularly Ft. Worth.

Texas is a good place to live for economic opportunities, housing, but it is true that this state is in some ways less cosmopolitan and international. it can be little bit lonely but don't worry about that if you are looking accommodation in texas i would like to suggest a site from where i got cheapest accommodation in texas.

visit:
[Moderated]

I am a Texan, but lived in Togo for several years and am married to a Togolese man. I am from East Texas which is small in population but rich in Native American, Mexican culture/history. Nacogdoches is the oldest town in Texas (my hometown), but is a small town and not tons of things to do, but quiet and relaxing if you are ready for a break.

Talk about culture...try Houston.  I lived there for five years and could eat any food from almost any country any night of the week.  Drive down Westheimer or SW Houston and it is like United Nations with Korean,Vietnamese and other Asian restaurants.  There is old and new China town, Indian restaurants.  Houston has one of the largest Nigerian populations in the U.S. and other Afro/Caribbean restaurants line the streets of SW Houston. Arabic culture thrives in Houston as well with many mosques and lovely restaurants. Also, there is opera,ballet,museum district...Huge medical facilities with some of best hospitals for children and cancer patients in the world.  There is not to mention the Johnson's Space Center. Bush Intercontinental Airport has many direct international flights.  Hobby can connect you as well.  :)

I lived for half a year in Texas and it was really cool having that kind of experience. Costs were normally cheaper at supermarkets and  specific points. Generally you could find your way appropriate to your lifestyle and after having a little time everything will become usual.

I like living in Washington DC area.  It's expensive to live, yet there are many work, educational and social opportunities.  My two girls, 8 and 4 year old, love it as well.