What Are The Top Italian Food Products You Cannot Find in the USA

Hi all. I am back to this Forum. I am writing an article for my blog and am interested in knowing what are the top Italian food products you cannot find back home. I know that nowadays you can pretty much find everything but did you ever notice how it just does not taste the same as it does in Italy? I am scouting for those products that we just cannot get in the USA. Any thoughts out there?? Lucia thisistuscany.blogspot.com

Hi Lucia,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

Hopefully you will get replies very soon.

Cheers,
Christine

Yes hi! I am from the USA and I can tell you what food items are hard to find here in Italy.
1) brown sugar! I have seen one kind similar in the braziliian section but it's not the same and much stronger molasses taste.
2) sour cream! ( I use Greek yogurt here)
3) cheddar cheese
4) cilantro
5) mustard powder

I am sure there are more but that is what I remember off the top of my head.

Hi Brittnyalya,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you for the sharing of information !!!

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Mozzarella.

Whoops, I read the post wrong. The food items that aren't available in the US that are Italian. Not a lot because Italy exports a lot of things to the US. I would say mozerella di buffula (buffalo milk mozerella) is really hard to find in the Us. I found it at a high end market place in Portland Oregon but it was about 16 dollars for one ball! Crazy. Also freshly sliced prosciutto, bresaola, speck and other types of dried meats will be much less common to find in the US. But still probably available. It is basically the quality of food here in Italy that you won't find the same in the United States. That is what I have noticed when moving here to Italy from living my whole life in the US.

Ahh.. sii.. i misunderstood your post i'm sorry..
:-)

given that the post is three years old, from a member who hasn't posted since, I don't expect you're going to get much of an answer anyway :)