Euro 20 electricity/water card amounting to Euro 1550

Hello Guys,

I am in the process of renting an apartment in Valletta for 2 months (November - December). I would really appreciate if you help me understand the concept of electricity card. I noticed when reading about this subject some in Malta received a monthly bill, some others has a fixed extra amount agreed to pay to landlord with the monthly rent. But in my situation if renting this apartment should purchase a card with minimum Euro 20 electricity/water card amounting to Euro 1550
I would like to know for a responsible solo living in a one bedroom unit what will be the approximate charges monthly fees for electricity/water.

Thank you

That completely depends on what the landlord has set the card reader on... for electricity to be calculated you use kwh (kilowatt hours, what many refer to as 'units'), and with these readers the landlord can usually set how much is charged per unit, i.e. per kwh. But if the card costs 20 euro and you get only 15.50 euro's worth, I'd say there's something not quite right... apart from the fact that these readers are not really legal, as enemalta doesn't allow landlords to resell electricity (in other words, the card reader meters are not 100% legal...), but that's another story...
But to get back to your question, ask how many kwh (or units) you get with one such card, and then find an online calculator to estimate your use...

PS for those who might point out residential vs domestic rates, I don't know the OP's situation, but if he's just renting for 2 months I doubt this will be his primary residence, and as far as I'm informed  residential rate only applies if it is...

The apartment seems belonging to a historical monument in Malta and not to a private landlord.
Do you think I should still ask, as you recommended earlier, how many Kwh I am getting with lets say E20 card?   Thank you

I would definitely ask how many kwh you get, irrespective of who the landlord is.