Old fellow still likes dial rotary telephones.

Hi all. I am in Canada now, but heading to Thailand this September. Please Help an old fart who has not kept up with new communication technology.  I think I damaged my left side of the brain when I was tripped playing basket ball in grade school and hit the wall with my head. Ouch.  My poor wife, after six years of marriage, has developed quite the muscular shoulders from throwing her hands up in the air while trying to teach me the Thai language.

I am moving to Phanna Nakhom, half way between Udon Thani and Sakhon Nakhon. Can any one please give me advice about getting internet service and TV connections in that area. TV must have English movies and news. In 2015 I moved from Chaing Mai to that area for 3 months and used an air stick which was good for internet but expensive. Also I will have to get one of those cell phones teenagers are using that has GPS service so I can tell my wife where i am lost at during my motorbike travels around the country.

Come on, iPhones are not just for teenagers (I'm 63 and use an iPhone 7+).  You really are behind the times aren't you. 

True Vissions is available pretty much everywhere in Thailand for TV viewing.  Internet is area specific so I would start off by looking for the local office of TOT and then see if other providers are in your area as well, for comparison. 

Please don't give up on learning Thai as it makes a huge difference in the quality of life here in Thailand.

I too am one of those old farts. I just bought my first cell phone, which of course is a smart phone, just this past October. With a land line in the US I could get away with not having a cell phone. In Chiang Mai I can not. One aspect was that it was a philosophical choice, for me. Besides I'm a retired Speech Pathologist and realize that communication is more then via a tech device.

I agree with the above statement. Shop around for providers in your immediate area and ask people around which they think is good. At my house one provider said that they service the area. Then when they physically went to the neighborhood found that their lines did not reach my neighborhood.

I also agree with learning Thai. I had a couple of instances within the past week that demonstrated that. One was renewing my bike registration. My Thai friend noticed that the Transportation Department forgot to input something on my Green book. If she hadn't caught that I would have had complications somewhere down the road.

In the mean time congratulate yourself for being an old fart that has the courage to make changes and to learn.

Thanks for the info and support guys. I live on a farm where cell phone connection is poor so I only have land line. I also have to use satellite internet and TV. Waaaaaay out in the boonies, but I love it. Moving to a crowded town in Thailand will be a change for me, but my wife says I have ta. I found out that if she is happy than I am happy.

In many countries, like Thailand, people got cell phones before land lines.  It was easier to build towers than run the cables to far flung locations.

I know they like to say a happy wife makes for a happy life but many guys come here and bend over backwards to accommodate a demanding wife and find themselves in dire straits.  Good luck and I hope everything works out the way you hope.

I live 55 km from town and find the more modern conveniences I have the better.  I think you will find the boonies in Thailand very different from the boonies in the West.  Here is a shot from our front yard during the green season.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6brzd_fQ9sgTYRv3jHUPVuw7mEnp2fRT27jwKhUTJUA-T7_VHz4hLxUJCefLmqETRZ3dHQSgslByUhHRvBUa1YZ-h0Z4JWZ9XvNsrFTTPCPk2OXq18B2zD3-HMToSyBX69Jq_K5_eGNqFTvyPLlbLcxf8MGgJbYIS-EmrOzhq_UH2DLIQofunHHApHW37cpT09L1jJDREmkdHmkM4Yi-FXGHzJWO3ZY9kE6A8WU8-lBG0VvPIqGZGe8D93v41Q9jOvX65hPDYihNaKEkdSsrV3xzbt8G0cwIwh3dopOR7gRhsRPYj7MzCXEUuma7APQQGq2967evLx9hJXMoxfcHDOb_9L17yd7xwuN0mxyx7Coh2-Ny2fVHxaOe6z7ve47nHH6N9ze9XanDZaAv-MilfZAggkt_v7eIrX8MNSs36tHD0-lVqZ3mWXHlFTGYbrRweP7xO4e88wRWeX_iGLX9LLqsJky4R_88HQe0sr_wkr57qRf4Jwp4cmnC_LNeOVbIhdWuLhvvH_zeVMwyQTVpTF8Nm4JWLaP_JzAltb3Yw6Bme-azF3e2IAYewOR2pHGoz81fKVAHMz-w-Wr-FN7HE_uITGc4jnD5w8eFD-2o-C1B2b6dvhL5E3Fy=w1024-h683-no

Hey,
I believe that any large town in Thailand will have True TV I've got over a hundred different stations but I watch about 30 in English. Theres more then that but there scattered around, As for internet I use BB. About 18$ US a month for unlimited, Telephone theres at least 3 or 4 nation wides, I use D-tack with pay as I go. Your right the GPS is wonderful... oh I don't know how they do it but if ya dial 00400 then the US number Ya can call the US for about 10 cents a minute.....   Good luck, Enjoy....