Moving to malta with our car!

Hi everybody!

At the end of the month we're moving to Malta, after a lot of thinking we are bringing our car with us.
I've tried to find some info about the procedures, but I can't find everything .
The car is just one year old, from what I've read, i'll have to pay to change plates, but the question is: how much? (just to get an idea)
And what are the rest of formalities?
thanks in advance

Everything you should need to know is either in this forum (use search) or on the govt. website: https://secure2.gov.mt/vehicleregistration/home

You'll probably have to pay registration tax on your vehicle - calculator is at: http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … t/Car.aspx

It'll be expensive - you might want to rethink!

Good luck
Tim

As the car is not more than 2 years you will have to pay registration when you transfer your residence to Malta. The amount depends on the car/car value. IT can be quite a lot !

Ricky

Thank you guys.

I've checked, and it's quite a lot of money.
This moving thing to malta has given me so far only headache, everytime i've got a problem the solution is even worse than the problem, pffffffffffffffffff!!!

samsp wrote:

...everytime i've got a problem the solution is even worse than the problem, pffffffffffffffffff!!!

That's Malta!

If you want to bring a car to Malta buy a second hand one, I bought a 1.7td Astra hatchback LS as my research told me that this was one of the lowest cars for its size on emission and particle matter I paid 749 euro for registration transfer the site quoted 100 euro more but I could prove through my log book that the emission and piratical matter was lower, then I had to pay for the plates witch was 30 euro. You do need to do a VRT test before you transfer which is valid for 2 years, I got to be honest I found the process very easy and done it in one day.

Also just to let you know I shipped my car over by boat which was at a cost of 800 euro did not want to drive, any Questions please ask and your research on the correct car is the most important thing as the registration goes up every year my a set amount and is allot higher for car registered now all the info is on the. valuation.vehicleregistration.gov.mt/Car.aspx
Down load the help document as it explains it all and all the tables are on there.
Cheers Fran