Electricity

Hello All,

I'm new to this page and excited to get some answers from expats in the DR. My family and I are planning to move there in 3 years and all the planning has begun. :)

Question on the electric outages... does anyone know about Solar panels and renewable energy that could be used to never lose power and lower energy costs? Are there companies in the DR that install them and are they popular? If they are not, why aren't they?

Electric cost related... I come from MN where we're used to cold weather so I know I will need those ACs to keep on going. How costly is electricity? I read a few posts that state that it it VERY expensive, but what does that mean? Does anyone know the cost per Kilowatt-hour?

Thanks everyone. :)
B

I'm not living in LT yet, but I can share some of what I learned looking at real estate.

Solar is much bigger there than it is in the US, and much cheaper!  We found that the majority of homes have solar panels to provide at least part of their power (none were off grid), but not many had batteries.  I know that batteries are one of the more expensive elements here in the US, but I would assume that the price in DR is much less.

In addition to the high cost of electricity, it also goes out frequently.  I've only experienced short outages of a few minutes, but depending on the time of day and what you're doing, it can be quite annoying.

We've decided that when we purchase a home when we are there full time, we will have plenty of solar panels and batteries to prevent the outages.

Thanks gg.

Once you find out cost and most reliable solar company, along with cost of batteries, I would love it if you share that. I know you're probably a ways away from being there full time but if you think of it once there and want to share, that would be fantastic.

B