Potential Jobs

Hello,

I just wanted to reach out and gather a little information in regards to teaching in Vietnam.

I am just now beginning my research into teaching in Vietnam and am trying to weigh which city I would like to be in, whether it be Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi.

I currently have a Bachelors Degree in Business Management and a Masters Degree in Sport Management. I also have an International Diploma Certificate for teaching Physical Education, where I taught in Malaysia for 6 months, as well as a short term assignment in Thailand. I have taught classes ranging from primary in the United States, teaching general English, Math, Science and Social Studies, as well as at the university level, where most courses were more sport based.

However, I have no TEFL. I have looked at many jobs on Dave's ESL and the New Hanoian and have read a variety of different articles.

Do you recommend having a job in place before arriving in Vietnam or looking for work upon arrival? I've read a variety of articles and it seems 50/50.

Lastly, approximately what is the salary per hour I should be looking for based off my background?

Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate all of your assistance.

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Tony

If you have no TEFL, it is more like 30/70, not 50/50, that you can find a job upon arrival. I think you have 2 options: Finding a job before you come here or going to a smaller but fast developing city (Binh Duong for example)

With your masters, certificate and experience you should be looking into international and private schools for work and not just in Vietnam. Google international jobs and start applying for suitable positions.

You are way over qualified for typical language centre and public school jobs (especially outside of major population centres).

You don't need a TEFL when you teach your masters. You don't need a TEFL at all outside Vietnam.