Visit/Tourist Visa for Jamaican (Urgent)

Good Day all,

I'm a Jamaican living in Qatar. Currently I am on a Visa which has to be renewed every 6 months, meaning I have to fly out and come back in.

Usually, I would make the short trip to Bahrain or the UAE, which I cannot do now for obvious reasons. (Political rift)

I have booked a trip to Muscat from the 24th of July, until the 1st of August. My issue is that I paid for the hotel and flights via expedia, thinking as per usual the hotel would assist me to acquire the visa, or I could simply apply for an Evisa.

However, the Evisa website (Royal Oman Police) and procedure makes no sense and has no provision for my nationality. I have sent them an email but only god knows if and when I will get a response.

The Omani Embassy has told me I need to book through a travel agency in Oman or ask for visa assistance from one.

So far the only agency I have found is asking me to pay 100 OMR as a fee and 500 OMR as a deposit which I find extremely extortionate!

I would be highly appreciative if any of you good people over there could give me some advice and/or assistance with regards to acquiring a tourist Visa. I have very limited time.

When that is all said and done, hopefully I can meet a few cool people and explore a bit of the country!

Thanks and Regards,

Shaun

Hi ShaunAlexanderJA,

Well, the process which you have described above is indeed the only way by which you could get yourself a tourist visa issued. And yes, the cost is indeed exorbitant.

Usually, a tourist visa is given as part of the entire tour package - including flight tickets, hotel accommodation, sightseeing, and such. Since you have gone ahead and have done it all by yourself, there isn't much in it for the travel agent to earn out of you. So they are padding it up with the visa fee. For a group excursion, the travel agent stands to gain more because of the numbers involved.

You could perhaps try applying for an 'Express Visa', or a 'Business Visa', if you know of someone in Muscat who might be working in the public or private sector. That organisation could act as your (mandatory / needed) local sponsor.

I know it is a long shot. But I can't think of any other solution.