Close

English Teacher without bachelor degree

Hi guys! Sorry for starting new topic about it again. My situation is quite different because I'm not native speaker. Actually I'm teaching in Vietnam on business visa without work permit. I don't have bachelor degree. I would like to ask you something:
1. Can I be legal English teacher in Indonesia after being married to Indonesian girl? (How many years?)
2. Is it possible to work without work permit? (in Vietnam it is).
3. What about my nationality? Do they care about nationality or being blonde blue eyed handsome young man?
4. Is it possible to get long visa if I'm married to Indonesian and work without work permit?
5. What if I'm studying in Indonesia? Does it allow me to get part time job as teacher?

Please don't advise me to don't do that and leave these jobs to real teachers because as you know there are more jobs in Asian than real teachers willing to live here. Sorry if somebody is feeling offended by people like me, but I just like teaching. It's my passion folks!

Unless you are from one of the English Language speaking countries that Indonesia recognizes and you have the teaching qualifications required to satisfy the departments who oversee expat teachers ( Immigration, manpower and education) and you can get a sponsor to help you gain legal status, then no you cant work here as a teacher of English legally and could be in trouble if you do and get caught.

Getting a wife sponsored visa once married is simple enough but that allows you live here but not work and if you get caught working illegally your wife bears the responsibility. Flying under the radar as you might could be the answer in a very short period of time but after that it is really hard to survive.

Indonesia has currently very tough rules for expats working here regardless of nationality or job the person has here.  Corruption is less and less nowadays and most schools and language mills wont risk the fines and bad press if they have teachers not meeting standards set. Work permits can take months because of process, in some parts of the country.

Sadly the days of just being a westerner and finding a teaching job in the country are almost over but its still Indonesia so things are still possible but its now very risky,

A 1 year visa is pretty much automatic for Europeans married to Indonesians but wotk is not allowed without a work permit.
Only degee level native English speakers from 5 countries can work legally according to the rules.

This being Indonesia, the rules are sometimes ignored.

After 2 years part time work casual can be legal regardless of the other rules as KITAP holders are allowed such work without a permit.

Working illegally is a very bad idea unless you like fines and being deported, maybe even some prison time if you upset the wrong people.

5 countries only? I guess NZ, CA, US, UK, Aus, ... No RSA and IR?

Expatriate health insurance in Indonesia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Indonesia

Moving to Indonesia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Indonesia

Travel insurance in Indonesia

Enjoy stress-free travel to Indonesia

Flights to Indonesia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Indonesia