Multiple Chinese visas

Hello there,

I'm currently in China on a one month L visa. I have an invitation letter to stay three months so I'm told I shouldn't have any problems extending the visa a couple of times.

However, after my three months expire, I'm told I can go to Hong Kong and apply for another 3 month tourist visa, if I have an invitation letter from a Chinese resident.

How true is this ? Can I just apply for another L visa in Hong Kong ?

Thanks

which city you now? and what is your passport and now visa?
i can introduce to you visa agent, 1 year multy chinese visa

I'm in taizhou, on an L visa

10000 chinese yuan 1-year multy visa, legal visa get in China, no need go outside

It also depends what country your passport is from. Normally a one year multi entry visa cost less than $200 USD.

Yes, it is possible to extend you L visa up to two times, allowing you to stay for 3 months in China. Some cities make this easier than others. Beijing and Shanghai ask you to prove you have sufficient funds for your stay, where as my city doesn't. Check with your local Public Security Beauro (PSB) as to what is required.

Looking at your profile, you seem to be a UK resident. I am assuming you have a British passport. If so, you can go to Hong Kong and get a new L visa. Not all nationalities can do this but British definitely can.

I'm slightly surprised you don't have a multi-entry visa since that has been the default visa given out to British passports in the UK for the last couple of years. If your visa does allow multi-entries, then you just have to enter Hong Kong, turn around, and come back into China. Entering Macau has the same effect too.

However, don't think you can just do this every 3 months for a year or more. There is a limit on the total number of days you can stay in China per year. If you keep going in and out and in an out just to refresh your multi entry visa, then they will eventually refuse you.

If you want to stay for an extended period of time, look to get another kind of visa since you aren't really a tourist in this case. For example, if you are visiting your wife, get a Q1 or Q2 visa. Or perhapse enrol at a school or university to learn Chinese and get a studen visa and residence permit allowing you to stay for 6 months or a year without any hassle.

Rosshall7, thanks for starting the thread.  I am looking to move to Shanghai with my partner.  She will get a Z visa from her work sponsor.  Because we are not married, I am unable to get a longer stay visa such as the S or Q.  I hear that some agencies in Shanghai will grant longer stays for L visa holders.  We come from the US and can apply for a 10 Year Multi-entry L visa.  I just don't want to exit/enter China every 60 days. 

Any advice or experiences other members have would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Evald, I suggest you enrol in a study course and get yourself a student (X) visa. Or apply for a job teaching and get a Z visa for yourself. You'll need something to do with your time when you're here for a year anyway.

I've seen some agents advertising that they'll get you a Business (F) visa for long term stay. I knew someone who did this back in 2007 but I haven't met anyone doing that recently.