Close

San Miguel or Queretaro for a Writer

Looking to explore Queretaro where my son is moving with his family or the more expat scene of San Miguel.  I need cafes to write in, a welcome place for my labradoodle and can afford about $1000- $1200 for rent for two bedrooms and at least a small yard for my dog- park nearby would also be great.  I want to be able to walk to cafes to work ( I'm a retired academic but still writing).  All suggestions welcome !

tessgabriel :

Looking to explore Queretaro where my son is moving with his family or the more expat scene of San Miguel.  I need cafes to write in, a welcome place for my labradoodle and can afford about $1000- $1200 for rent for two bedrooms and at least a small yard for my dog- park nearby would also be great.  I want to be able to walk to cafes to work ( I'm a retired academic but still writing).  All suggestions welcome !

I know both cities quite well. SMA has more locals speaking passable English if you do not speak any Spanish. Short term furnished rentals will likely be fewer and cost much more than Querétaro. Both have an abundance of coffee houses/restaurants/public plazas with free WIFI.

In Querétaro not that many locals speak English but more every year. Being close to your son and his family is a bonus also. The short term furnished rentals there will have more selection and much cheaper possibly and probably in pesos not in USDs as in SMD. Querétaro is over 1.5 million and has everything but SMA has very little in comparision. To me it would depend on my Spanish abilities and what I want to do in terms of seeing different things all of the time. In SMD this is very limited. Both have a large cultural scene but in Querétaro mostly in Spanish and in SMD many are in English. Querétaro has an international airport. SMD you have to drive to the Bajio international airport about 1 hour away.

Your rent budget is high for Queretaro but not that high for a nice place in SMD so you would likely get a much nicer place in Querétaro for your expected rent you will be willing to pay. Traffic congestion in Queretaro is bad. SMD has many hills and walking is streneous.

Many thanks for your helpful reoly.  I sense you think that Queretaro is better value and there are still many
cafes, restaurants, etc. and of course more amenities.  Since I am Canadian ( we learn French, not Spanish, in school!), I have little Spanish and will be learning from
the basics, but I plan to do so.  Partly, I think its a good idea to be independent from my family and this way I can still see them once a week.  I can also move from St. Miguel to Q after a couple of years when everyone settled.  I am getting a bit worried about an uptick in crime in St. Miguel.  I dont want to live in a gated community, but in the centre and be able  to walk around safely!    Think I will travel in the Fall to get the lay of the land and be glad to take anyone out to lunch or coffee for tips on a productive, creative life in St Miguel, especially where to live with a dog!!!

Thanks again!

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico

Enjoy stress-free travel to Mexico