Job market in Malta

Hi all!

Just wondering what the job market is like over in sunny Malta? I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in Law and Criminology and am really struggling to find work over here in the UK :( My fiance and I have decided to escape the grey skies and save up to move abroad. He is a native speaker of both English and French and has an HND in Architectural design. We would really like any feedback on the chances of us finding work in the next 12 months with these qualifications.

Also, any tips on how much money we would need for the first 6 months for basic dwelling, food, bills etc. would be a great help! Thanks in advance.

:)

Hi jodyUk,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You can post an advert in Malta Classifieds job section.
We hope also that other members in Malta will help you quickly!

Good luck
Armand

Welcome!

6 months seems to be the average, I made it in 4....

My rent is 300

utility bills 50 per month ( lower than norm )

fuel 25 per week

propane 25 quarterly

car tax anually ( 27 year old suzuki ) 106

car ins anually 250

phone 20 per month each

food 100-125 / week ( healthy cooking and I LOVE food )

beer 15/week unless I go out with Tim, Chris and Ricky then it goes up.

Chad

Hey Chad, thanks for the reply, very informative. Think 15 a week for beer might be a bit optimistic for us after living the student life ;) Now to get going with the serious saving. . .

Jody

Man, I wish I had Chad's bills :-(

But I think he's in the right ballpark for a couple. I don't think you can get away with much less than his numbers and of course you can always pay more.

Tim

Hi Tim,

We're used to living on a tight budget after uni. Not too fussy about accomodation either, we've lived in some right tips lol. The main concern for us is finding employment really with the state of the economy throughout the EU. It's really bad in England at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Jody

I'm not quite sue what the qualifications mean in the Maltese job market , especially the one in Law and Criminolgy. What does 2:1 mean? Are you a lawyer ? There is certainly enough crime=work .Working within the Maltese law system would probably require being fluent in Maltese. But there are also positions with the banking/finance and similiar areas.

English/French language twin is very good and would certainly go well in the i-gaming or banking call centers.

Expect a Maltese salary even in the law or architecture sections.

Chad's budget figures are similiar to ours.Rent can be a lot higher though depending what you go for and where. If you use AC in the summer the eletricity will be a lot more though.

Ricky

I would think that if you were headed down soon with tourist season coming up you could pick up a summer gig, but obviously I cant say for sure....   I would also look at arriva http://www.arriva.com.mt/home?l=1   they are moving in soon and are hiring now.

hammersfan wrote:

Man, I wish I had Chad's bills :-(

But I think he's in the right ballpark for a couple. I don't think you can get away with much less than his numbers and of course you can always pay more.

Tim

Tim..I believe you're a family of four...how much would you say you pay for food a week??.

Sorry to go off the subject...but since bills were mention...I thought I'd jump in and ask. I've been trying shops like Lidl to save money...which I have on stuff like soaps and wine..but it still seems like Im paying about 150-200 a week on food and I really just buy the basics...just want to get an idea of what you pay since you have growing pre-teens like me.

Our weekly grocery bill averages about 125 according to my wife. But I get free meals at work (Mon-Fri) and she hardly eats anything so that's mainly kids meals, staple items and weekend meals. If we were a "normal" family of 4 (inc 2 kids) she said she would expect us to be up in the 150-200 a week range.

Hope that helps
Tim

hammersfan wrote:

Our weekly grocery bill averages about 125 according to my wife. But I get free meals at work (Mon-Fri) and she hardly eats anything so that's mainly kids meals, staple items and weekend meals. If we were a "normal" family of 4 (inc 2 kids) she said she would expect us to be up in the 150-200 a week range.

Hope that helps
Tim

Ok..that makes me feel better...thanks.

My wife gets free meals at work as well....  Is that common around here?  It really helps.

Chad

if you want to get a job as a lawyer it would be pretty difficult from what i hear. the market for lawyers is over saturated and very year more and more keep graduating.

I have an oppinion as what we should do with the lawyers, ///   And we do live in the middle of the Mediterranean which makes it easier...   Just let me know when to rent the boat and to buy extra anchors and chain   :)

hahaha you should start right now! :dumbom: