Close

Looking to move to Queens, NY from South East England.

Hi all, my names Calum.

I'm 20 years old and a university drop out. I currently work in estate agency or 'real estate' for those across the pond. Since I was about 15 years old I have wanted to move to New York. I have seen a lot of the US, Europe and Asia.

The trouble is I don't really know where to start, and what viability me getting to live and work in New York is right now. And yes, I know, it won't be easy.

I have good credit and have saved £12,000 ($15,500) so far for a mortgage deposit in England which I would look to invest in Queens on a VERY cheap property or rent. I'm not sure how mortgage applications work in the USA so that would be interesting.

Work and such, to be honest, I would take any line of work, retail, restaurant and bar work that sort of thing but ideally in real estate I understand this is probably a very saturated job role in NY but we'll see I guess.

In terms of my personal circumstances, I'm not sure of my chances of getting the appropriate visa. I have no trouble with the police in England, I am well travelled, I have studied at University but never finished, I have a step aunt that lives in Boston, USA. I don't know if any of these make a difference positively or negatively when looking to try and get the most appropriate visa but I guess I just need help and suggestions on what to do, where to go, what I need to consider that sort of thing. 

Some advice would be great.

Expatriate health insurance in New York

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in New York

Moving to New York

Find tips from professionals about moving to New York

Travel insurance in New York

Enjoy stress-free travel to New York