Family Immigration VISA

Hi All :)

I was hoping you could help with a query. I am looking to relocate to Norway and preferably as soon as possible. I am from South Africa originally. After conducting some research an option that I saw was the Family Immigration Visa - For a person who had a Norwegian Parent when they were born.

My mother is Norwegian and I am looking to apply for that Visa option. The requirements stated on the UDI website are very minimal (there are only 2 - you have to have a Norwegian parent and earn a certain income) and I am looking to find out more about this option in general, could anyone help me?

Some of the more specific questions I have include:
- My mother is Norwegian but currently not living in Norway, would that be a problem? I do have cousins that live there. For this Visa do I have to have my connection in Norway?
- How long does this Visa last for? and with this Visa can I live, work and / or study in Norway?
- Are there any procedures that happen post getting an acceptance of the Visa from the UDI?
- Are there any other requirements that have not been made clear?

Thank you so much for looking at the query. I look forward to any help that can be provided!

Kind regards,

Kimberley Thornhill

Have you thought of apply for norwegian citizenship instead since you have a norwegian parent?

As for family unification, I heard from a family who has migrated to Norway and they tried to get their son (23 yrs old) to move based on family unification.  The UDI told them no because for children, they cannot be more than 21 yrs old under family unification to a parent.

But I think you might be able to apply family unification based on your cousins living in Norway.  Someone I knew did that based on her relationship with her (now ex) husband's cousin because her husband refused to sponsor her anymore.  There is income requirement for the sponsor so you  need to make sure your cousin meet the requirement.

Nowadays due to EU regulation,  most of the visa last only 2 years.  Even for permanent residency permit, the card needs to be renewed every 2 years.

With family unification, you can work and study etc.  There is no restriction.

Thank you so much for your reply and providing answers to my questions.

Yes I did try the citizenship route unfortunately I have not spent enough time in Norway and I am over the age required to apply. Do you by any chance know of any other route that would be available to me? The UNE mentioned something about obtaining a temporary residence permit but I can't really find any information on the UDI website about that.

Thank you for letting me know about the cousin route, I will look into what the income requirement is.

Thank you so much for your help

I think what they meant is you should apply for temporary visa (whether skilled worker or family unification) to be able to stay in Norway and after a certain number of years and proficiency in norwegian, you will be eligible for application of citizenship.  It is the common route for foreigners to apply for citizenship in Norway.

Thank you so much for all your help. I have been doing some research into the various VISA options and I saw one requirement is that you have to have savings and show proof of this. Do you by any chance know what the recommended Savings amount would be?

I really appreciate all the information you have provided!

It should be all stated in UDI website - in english.

https://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/