Residence Permit in Norway

Hi!  Ive met a man who I really like, he is American and I am Norwegian. We would like to live together, preferably in Norway (but the US is also an option, depending on which is the easiest and fastest way for us to get to live together).

I am a student, but will be done pretty soon. He really wants to get a PHD if he were to come here (since they have one he is interested in where I live), but is it  easy to get a student visa in Norway for an American? Do Americans have to pay tuition to study in Norway? If we get married (which we want to eventually), will it make it easier for us to be able to live together in Norway? Or the US for that matter.

Its not important getting a permanent visa/citizenship just yet, whats important is that a) we will be able to live together and b) he can study and work here (part time)

Would it be easier for me to go live in America, or him to live here in Norway ?

Hi Kakefyll,

My friend who was Norwegian moved to be with his then fiancee, now wife in the US.  I am American and moved to Norway to be with my then fiance, now husband.  From our conversations with one another, it seems that I had a much easier process of relocation/overall time it took to process paperwork here in Norway.  My only warning for moving here is that all the Norwegian bureaucracy seemed to care about was that my "sponsor" - which was my fiance - had a steady income and made enough money.  I think things become much more complicated moving to Norway when the Norwegian "sponsor" is less established/doesn't have a job - which is absolutely not a knock on your current situation - believe me, I've been a poor student before! But if you were to get a job after graduation and perhaps have it for maybe a year or so to establish yourself, I think you might be in better standing.  Also you two would need to get married fairly quickly after he moved to Norway, because the fiance visa doesn't last very long before it expires.

I do believe that he would have to pay tuition in Norway to study here.

I don't know where you would be intending to live in the US, as well, but employment can be a bit tricky there (although it can be in Norway, as well).  My friend who moved to the US said that he had a hard time getting a job, because he hadn't gone to a college/university with a lot of name recognition.  Now, mind you, he moved to Manhattan, so the job market there is extraordinarily competitive, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Hope this was helpful and good luck with your relationship!  I know it can feel extremely complicated and stressful at times to be so far apart from one another, but things do find a way of working themselves :)

Hi! Thanks for your answer. We want to move together as soon as possible. So was really hoping we could move together before I finished school. But if we have to wait, we have to wait. Another option we were thinking could be him finding emloyment in norway and working while I finish school, cause I see on UDI's pages that they look at both incomes combined if the sponsor is under education? So if he works full time, I get money from lånekassen and work part time, shouldnt we have more than enough money to get by? Maybe I should set up a meeting with someone from udi? Cause it would be to bad if he came here, we got married and then he would have to leave cause he cant get a family visa until Im done . then it would be better to Just wait, cause he has a job in the us

Yes I would definitely talk to as many people as possible at UDI. Unfortunately, we had the experience of getting slightly different answers every time we called, so it's good to have discussions with a few different people so that you're sure you have all the answers you need.

i know foreigners who came to norway to study in UiO and they did not pay tution fees.  They do have to fulfill the requirement that they have sufficient money in the bank to support themselves.  but none of them are PHD.  I know a norwegian guy who is studying PHD and he actually gets paid to study PHD...not sure how that works.  I think it might be good for you to contact the school and ask.  Study visa might be easier for him to apply if the school accepts him.