Getting a job offer in order to migrate

Hi all
My brother lives in NZ and we have lots of other family who left SA a long time ago.  Finally we have decided to move.. we have a 12 month plan?  I am a manager in health and social care, on the policy and commissioning side (commissioning, contracts, service development)rather than hands on operational. My husband is senior in IT.  By the looks of web sites there are jobs we could apply for.  My plan is to shortlist and arrange interviews for a 14 day period when I'll visit and hopefully gain a job offer.  Is this realistic?

Also any advice on secondary schools in Wellington for 14 and 15 year olds?

Mel

Welcome on board Mel :)

I hope that other members will contribute to your discussion soon ;)

Wish you good luck for your move!

Regards

My husband (allied health) came over to NZ to attend interviews.  He was offered work by all three health boards who were prepared to wait until his permanence was approved.  The jobs were still open to him after a year.  (our permanence took almost 18 months despite both of us being on the skills shortage list)

My colleague in social services was interviewed by tele conference but none of the services were prepared to interview her until she was within three months of having her permanence granted. 

So I doubt there is any definite answer to your question.

No ideas of schools in Wellington - sorry.

Hi There,
I am a South African Businessman with over 15 years experience in Retail. My wife is a qualified Teacher - currently Primary School (for about 2 years), but with over 12 Years experience in Scondary Schools as well as Further Education and Training Colleges.
We are in the -Tricky- process of applying for Residence to New Zealand, but without a Job Offer we don't currently qualify, and in order to get a Job Offer you should ideally have PR...
So the alternative is for me to go over for 14 days and hope to impress the Retailers over there of what I can do in their business.
If there are any other ex-pat South Africans that went through the same, kindly give some advice, anything would be Greatly Appreciated!
Albert Mitton

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Albert!

I would suggest you to to have a look at the Work section of our Life in New Zealand guide. You can also post an advert in the jobs section of Wellington classifieds even if you are abroad ;) Finally you can create a new topic on the Wellington forum to have better chances of having responses from other members in the same situation.

Regards
Armand

Just a thought, but if your wife's profession is on the skill shortage list, would it not be better to make her the main applicant? 

You might find it hard to win retailers over with a business plan in such a short time period.  But hopefully your family can make some contacts for you before you arrive.

Good luck.

Hi!

Same situation here. You need a job offer before a permit is granted, and you need a permit before a job offer is made. Reverse catch 22 situation. Chicken and egg. And the situation regarding immigration has changed a lot in the past 3 years.
Much more stringent and much less catering to immigrants.

Wellington high school would be the obvious choice for kids. Excellent school. My sister goes there and she is very happy.
The facilities are phenomenal and standards are high.

Hi and welcome on Expat.com Dré24 :)

Thanks for helping ;)

Armand