How to save money in Nepal

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Nepal? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Nepal? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I was a widow in my 50's when I took off to see the world. I went back to university to finish up on my degree and then I ran out of savings and got stuck in Europe and had to borrow from an Indian friend to make it to India.  Fortunately for me, I had a pension that comes each month. So 3 months later I had to leave India so I basically just showed up in Nepal.

6 years later and I love it more than I did then. Here's how you save money: Only book online for the first night of your stay. If it's off season you don't have to book ahead at all, but a lot of people like to have a plan of some sort.

Reasons to only book for one night:

You will pay more for booking online. They put the commission on top of the price of the room.

Nobody will throw you out-they might have to make the bed or even wash the sheets.

If you don't like the place, or if it's too hard to find in a strange country then you will only lose one night's price. 

Reason to book ahead for more nights: Very often, you can get a free pick-up from the airport if you stay a few days, so for your first night in the country you might want to take a few days; it might save you $15 for a taxi.

I think the best way to save money is eat local food. Western food is more expensive. I rarely ate in a restaurant because of the prices and because people smoke in them. I mainly just buy veggies and have salads and eggs. Produce is cheap here.

DON'T SPEND

Kidding! :D

The best way to save is by 'acting like a local'. Once you get in here, talk to as many people. Be a boss, and act like a local. Imitate them, when it comes to spending. That'll help you reduce 70% of your expenditure. Cheers!