Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

How to save money in Japan

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Japan? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Japan? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

i save money by doing overtime at work.
Not only do you save your self from doing non sense things like going to the mall, park, or just lying around, you earn money with that time you couldve been doing nothing.

Imagine, you do work from 8-5, you go out at 7am, arrive home 6pm, you still have around 4-6hrs of leisure time. You can eat, play games, go shopping, go to parks, adventures, fun things, but they almost all the time costs money right?
So why not do overtime so for 2-3hrs a day so you wont have the energy and time to do any of all the money costing things, and instead earn +125% of your salary!

WIN WIN for me!

Where do you work? 125% for overtime work is realy great!

Back in 2013 I set up an Excel spreadsheet budget.  Miwa and I both put money away each month towards our travel budget and plan it's use throughout the year.  I record all expenses on my spreadsheet and compare with the previous year on a monthly basis.  For 2017 we are running a 6000 yen a month below 2016, which means we will take a couple of extra trips this year.

Found it on some job websites. Guess i got lucky? My previous company didn't have such salary, always overtime no pay, that's why i left!

Moving to Japan

Find tips from professionals about moving to Japan

Travel insurance in Japan

Enjoy stress-free travel to Japan

Flights to Japan

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Japan