How to save money in Ethiopia

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Ethiopia? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Ethiopia? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

very good question

Rule No 1 - if your are not Ethiopian you pay more always more, where ever you go, just a packet of cigarettes, a taxi, the hotel, the rent of a house, you will be charged more - if possible I send some one of my trust, mostly my wife, who even does not like to go shopping with me together "if you come with me we have to pay more!

Rule No 2 - check all invoices, the chance to be overcharged is high, even in a small bar let the waiter make the calculation in front of you do not accept just a number he through on the table!

Rule No 3 - if you like the draft as I do ( I am German) collect your empty glasses on the table!

Rule No 4 - say no, learn to make a decision and leave the place and do not feel bad! Do not allow yourself to get a bad conceit, its not your mistake, they lost a client!

Rule No 5 - try to make the business direct, do not go through dealers, broker or as we call them "delalas", ask for papers, to prove that you real deal with the owner! Reject response as " oh the owner has no time" just leaf the table and do not waste your time. Make clear you want the business so I want to talk to the owner.

Rule No 6 - learn to reject a payment, no receipt no money very easy. Leaf friendly your tele and just leaf the place!  For example wanted a hotel to charge me for the internet us, outside was a advertising "free WiFi" during my stay I consumed in one hour drinks and food, but the waiter did add 1 Soft drink on my bill, explaining this is for the internet. I took a pen, corrected the bill paid and left a note at the back for the owner. I never came back to this hotel!

Both cases are every thing else then nice and more or less embarrassing for the country and I ask me why is it not possible to go shopping with out having the permanent fear in your mind to be cheated!

Would be nice if some one can explain me, because I have been in Many countries where I never faced this problem! What is it? Why is this happening, if we want to develop this nice country, why do we have to charge some one more, just because he is a non Ethiopian! Do we really believe this will work out.

Even the government is following this "rule" if you are not Ethiopian we have to charge you more, sorry. As a example to enter Lalibela you will be charged now 50 USD, which I believe is everything else, but for sure not promoting tourism, its a killer (if you do not believe me, just look at the internet what tourist are reporting after they return from Ethiopia)

It is such a sad story!

Oliver Langert

It is so so so so sad and so embarrassing!