How to save money in Egypt

Hello everyone,

Did you plan your budget before your move to Egypt? If so, how did you go about it?

How do you save money in your day to day life? Do you find there are any areas where you can't cut costs?

Do you have any tips about saving money in Egypt? For example, getting the best deals on accommodation, grocery shopping and dining out, the best value transportation, etc..

Are there any apps or websites that have helped you to save money?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Share an apartment with other expats. It doesn't have to be in zamalek and maadi. Dokki and downtown also have nice areas. Check them out. Use the metro instead of taxis. Limit eating out and cook at home.... much cheaper and definitely healthier. Egypt is becoming pricey these days so it's more challenging to save.

Hi priscilla,
Totally agree with what Mariam and Hakkad have written above. My big concern is the taxi drivers, they all have their own prices, why not standardize the taxi fares. Sometimes, I have to let the taxi person go cos I know he is charging me extra fare and I would wait for the cost effective driver, and believe me, there are some honest drivers who will charge the real cost, that's when I feel like giving them tip, sometimes they do not even accept the tip, since they consider it as being a baksheesh - charity. I take their numbers and use them regularly, whilst staying in Egypt.
Well done to these honest taxi drivers, and May Allah bless them all.
Big hotels are total rip off. They are nothing special except being pricey for providing 20 metres long beach.