Entrepreneur meetup

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Event section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi
I'm an expat interested to invest and start a business in Vietnam.

On that week I will be visiting for the first time so i would like to join the meetup.

Thank you
Andrea

hello,
my name is Yong and my wife runs a coffee shop - The Daily Grind Coffee.  I am very interested in this type of networking event.  If there are enough interests, you are welcome to host the event here.  Just let me know the date and time and I will set it up.  Looking forward to it.

Yong

Hello guys,

Is there any meet-ups in 2018. May I join?!

Cheers!

hello,
I am planning to schedule a meeting if there is enough interest.  Stay in touch.

Yong

DELAFON wrote:

It would be much better if you created an Event for FREE.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Okay, tks Yong!!

For sure sign me up.  20 yr tech entrepreneur now living in Saigon

hi when do you want to have it?

I scheduled an informal get together tonight May 3 @ 6PM.  I think there will be a couple of us. Please join us.  The address is The Daily Grind Coffee @ 3/2 Street, District 11, HCMC.  Hope to see you there.

Yong

yong.j.mun wrote:

I scheduled an informal get together tonight May 3 @ 6PM.  I think there will be a couple of us. Please join us.  The address is The Daily Grind Coffee @ 3/2 Street, District 11, HCMC.  Hope to see you there.

Yong

Hello Yong i would love to but tonight i cant i have an appointment already with some friends, i will try to join nextime or probably on weekends.

No worries.  I'll send you an invite for the next Event.  Take care.

Yong

Hello everyone

Please note that i have removed some posts from this thread. Events should be posted only the Events section : https://www.expat.com/en/events/asia/vietnam/saigon/  and please be careful while posting dates. There could be less confusion if they are posted in the Event section.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hello,

My colleague and I are in the same case as you, and we would like to meet people. We come from France and we stay here until the end of august.

Hi Yong,

May I just ask you what you think of the idea of an English man working in a local coffee shop as a way to attract Vietnamese customers (because they can come and practice their English speaking skills).

It is just that a local Vietnamese man has offered me this opportunity out in a province.
This could be a good situation for me as I would be able to offer my services as a freelance speaking coach. And good for him as the coffee shop would get lots of extra custom.

It would just be interesting to get an extra perspective and you might have some valuable advice that you could offer me.

Just a thought!

Hopefully, meet you at an entrepreneurial meetup!

Cheers,

Rob

I think your jawbone will be very tired by the end of the first day.  :huh:  On top of that your brain cells will need replenishment due to the atrophy experienced by having the same conversation all day long.

M B MAN wrote:

May I just ask you what you think of the idea of an English man working in a local coffee shop as a way to attract Vietnamese customers (because they can come and practice their English speaking skills).

Taking your idea to the next level, Master's Cup coffee shop in D7 has practice rooms for english, and in evenings (sometimes/always?) native-english conversation leaders. That brings many enthusiasts during the day (Korean expats, students), and is actually a social scene with lots of after-work Vietnamese regulars. Check it out. Order some pecan pie too.

M B MAN wrote:

Hi Yong,

It is just that a local Vietnamese man has offered me this opportunity out in a province. This could be a good situation for me as I would be able to offer my services as a freelance speaking coach.

I'm not Yong, but I can tell you right now that it's an awful idea.

If you want to teach English, get a job teaching.  If you want to help out for free, get a job as a volunteer.  If you want to work in a cafe and chat with people, work as a staff in a cafe but not as a "speaking coach" while serving coffee.  The two jobs do not mix unless you're the type of person who is content with an half-arsed job. 

Will you take time to correct your customer's grammar while other customers waiting for their drinks or the bill, or will you be content listening to broken English all day long?  A coach is someone who devotes his time to help people become better at their specific goal, can you do that while being part of the serving staff or a cashier?  Perhaps I misunderstand your purpose, and the job at the cafe is only to have a venue to solicit your "services s a freelance speaking coach."  If that's the case, well, I wish you luck, but most Vietnamese who want to learn English would either go to a language school, or if they're rich enough, hire a private tutor, not a speaking coach who works in a cafe.  Image is important in this country.

Ok. I appreciate your response. I will consider what you said.

Cheers.

hi DELAFON,
Will you be having any meet ups this June 2018.
I am an entrepreneur looking for like minded business men / women in Saigon

Hi, are you still in HCMC?