Close

Argentina - Buenos Aires...

I am an American with an OK pension. How much would it cost to live in a decent area of Buenos Aires? I may take a trip in the coming months and plan a move. Three cats would come with me - no family. I am single. My Spanish is OK - I watch Spanish television daily to learn the language better.   My name is Glenn - I just turned 55 last week. I write books full time but I am not successfully published yet.

Hi Glenn. With usd 1000 per month you can live here by your own. I'm a writer as well.

Thanks, Antonio - my income is much, much more than that. Thanks for letting me know. I will try to visit in the next year. I am not rich by USA standards. but I am doing OK.  I own a condo in western Massachusetts in an inexpensive area - I bought it new.

Cool man, glad it helped! That's great. What do you write about?

Hi, I am not yet published. I have written three historical fiction novels - two are long books, not good when one is seeking a publisher. The fourth is about my time in the military. I hope to have book deals by year's end. I am doing a contemporary novel (fiction) now. I have written science fiction and fantasy. I can afford to live overseas and not work, though some people have told me it is likely I could find part-time work teaching English if I wanted it. I do not have a college degree as I went into the military instead - I was a medic - so I am familiar with the medical field. I write every day in  my spare time, and I have to begin watching Spanish-speaking TV every day now - especially if I am going to relocate to Buenos Aires or some other Spanish country like Spain. I was stationed in the Philippines when young - so I know what it is like not to live in the USA and I am OK with it.

Anyone with info - it would help. I just turned 55 last week. I have an OK income. I would not have to work. I work full time writing, but am not earning money doing it. I understand for around $700 a month USD I can find a nice place with a doorman and pool in Buenos Aires. I can afford more. I am NOT rich by US standards, just secure financially as I have a military pension. I can afford the healthcare too -  I read what it costs and despite having other healthcare I have to pay about $300 USD a month in the USA. I own property here - but I would likely not make too much of a profit with a sale next year of it. I have three cats and they are coming with me - I imagine that is possible with rabies and other shots. I joined another site with Argentina but can't log in. This may be my only info site. I will search for others.

Hi Glenn, niche to meet you, i'm Facundo, i'm not living in BA right now but i was born and raised there. Yo could rent a big flat in Palermo or San Telmo with plenty of rooms and amenities for less than U$D 1000, and i think those two neighborhoods are great for writing, plenty of historic cafes, plazas and history. San Telmo has a more working class/Tango Feel with a deep immigrant history, perfect setting for a Porteño Novel.
Food is expensive though, but you will be fine.
Cheers!

Thanks for letting me know. I may try to visit in the next year - by February or March on my own. I can afford that without problems. For now,  I am here in the USA for some time, but I would like to move someplace like Buenos Aires. I speak Spanish - fairly OK, but need to become more fluent, and practice every day. In the USA we call flats - apartments. I own property here now... but would be OK renting. I have three cats that will be going... thanks for the info.

Expatriate health insurance in Buenos Aires

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Buenos Aires

Moving to Buenos Aires

Find tips from professionals about moving to Buenos Aires

Travel insurance in Buenos Aires

Enjoy stress-free travel to Buenos Aires