Close

Importing Vehicles to Sri Lanka from UK

Hi, I am a Sri Lankan living in the UK with close connections to Sri Lanka and I would like to
know importing vehicles to SL.

particularly interested in exception when u transferred a lot of money to SL. any one with previous experience and complete guidance.. please let me know.

thanks

Hi,

To import vehicles you must have vehicle permits (for duty free vehicles) and import license. (What vehicle importers do is to buy vehicle permits from Ministers and Doctors to relieve Duty). If you dont have vehicle permit you must obtain import license. Once you paid the taxes and duty you can take the vehicle from the port.

Sending money is not an Issue. Fund receiver should give the Bank a letter stating source of the money also should mention this money will not go out of the country. If you are transfering big amount you can negotiate with the bank for a better exchange rate. If you are transferring money to NRFC no letter needed. Commercial Bank of Sri Lanka give better rates (based on my prior experience). Sending to a estate bank always is less risky.

Thanks,
-Superman-

hey thanks for the reply..so if I do not have the permit and need to hv license right ?

heard that If u hv transfered twice the amount of money of the vehicle's value to SL, u get some discounts on taxes...not sure how much ? any idea ?

Hi,
I have a griend of mine who lives in London- he exports vehicles to Sri Lanka. He wil be able to advise and assist. Woukd you like his contact details?
I will talk to him today and inquire whether he is still exporting to SL.

yes please Ritchie...I would like to know the details of any exemption to taxes in SL in particular..thanks

Please send me a secure means to send his contact number -your email address should do. I am not happy to send my friends mobile number on this forum. Hope you can understand

hey I understand.. I have private messaged you..check your inbox of this forum.ta

Expatriate health insurance in Sri Lanka

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Sri Lanka

Moving to Sri Lanka

Find tips from professionals about moving to Sri Lanka

Travel insurance in Sri Lanka

Enjoy stress-free travel to Sri Lanka

Flights to Sri Lanka

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Sri Lanka

2 million members!

Watch later