Medical issues

I am looking into Medical in Belize.  I have not yet been there but will be there next year.  I am an insulin dependent diabetic and Also on a gluten free diet.  Now here in the US its not a problem finding these products, I was wondering if I will find these in Belize. I usually go into Dallas to a Sprouts or Whole Foods and get them.  I pretty sure I be able to get my insulin. 
Hey is there a US Military  Base near by or a near by country?

Thanks
Sharlyn828

Not meaning to sound negative BUT you really need to visit and take a look for yourself.
Gluten free is possible, but you will have to shop around and maybe bake for yourself. There is nothing like the choice you are probably used to.

Sharlyn828 wrote:

I am looking into Medical in Belize.  I have not yet been there but will be there next year.  I am an insulin dependent diabetic and Also on a gluten free diet.  Now here in the US its not a problem finding these products, I was wondering if I will find these in Belize. I usually go into Dallas to a Sprouts or Whole Foods and get them.  I pretty sure I be able to get my insulin. 
Hey is there a US Military  Base near by or a near by country?

Thanks
Sharlyn828

First, Thank You For Your Service!!

As sittee4 said you will not find the huge range of choices on anything in Belize most Americans are used to. Often finding just one of any particular product is considered lucky. One either accepts the substitutes or does without. Others move back to the states. Most of the time I find I don't really miss/need it. I know one can't usually do that with most meds.

The closest US military base used to be Panama, but I think that has been cut way back for a few years now. So Texas is likely the closest currently. I have an expat friend here that flys back to the states once a year for his VA checkup, gets prescriptions renewed and whatever other services the VA provides for him. He ties that into a 2 month yearly trip visiting friends/family and such. He has been doing that since he moved here over 20 years ago. I would ask him for details, except he just left on his yearly trip.

I suggest looking/searching the threads on this forum as most questions have been asked/answered several times. However pay attention to the dates as some have not been active for a long time. Also if  a subject is kept within a single thread it makes it easier to answer, and for future readers.

As Bill says, "Sandels in the Sand" is the only way to tell for sure if the different lifestyle here will work for someone :D .

well                 I would only need 2 items from the states.  Gluten free flour and xanthan gum.  I sure my friend could send from states.  I don't mind baking because now I have to bake my own bread because my town is small and does not carry what i need so I go to Dallas 1 time a month to get the flour.  Basically I would eat veggies, fruit and a lot of chicken.  Can't have dairy so either Almond milk or coconut milk will do.  I sure I can get somethings on line too.  I spent 5 years on a base in Puerto Rico with no issues at all, moved back to states and everything went down hill.  I know being back  in sunshine, breezes, and a calm environment will help my state of being and wellness.  Will start meditative yoga again too and maybe kayaking .

Sharlyn828

I will b there next year Not sure if June or October but will be there.

Is Sandles in the Sand an article, or person, or blog?

Sharlyn828 wrote:

It started out as a more fitting phrase when some of us here we're using the phrase "Boots on the Ground".

billdoesbelize came up with the phrase here, he then wrote a wrote a poem about it.
Use the search hourglass at the top of the page and see more, and see billdoesbelize Blog.

Lobster season in Belize starts June 15th each year, several areas have a great LobsterFest with a party like atmosphere. Each area seems to take a different weekend to hold their event so some folks attend more than one. October is usually smack dab into the real rainy season and some roads flood out, that was why I could not get to the expat area north of Corozal when I was exploring the country in October of 2015. 

I was pretty sure I was going to buy in Placencia because I had been here quite a few times for 2-3 weeks at a time, but wanted to see other areas before buying.

I suggest traveling/driving around doing the "Sandals in the Sand" thing in areas that interest you from online research, then pick an area to rent for a few months before buying.

Belize as it is, has to fit you, and thankfully is not for everyone.  ;)

Sharlyn828 wrote:

Thanks for the mention Aerodex.

Sharlyn828, here is the link to the thread here on the forum with the "Sandals in the Sand" poem. I hope you enjoy it. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=669760

Sharlyn828 - Gluten free flour, Xanthan gum, almond or coconut milk are all available. Although you'll have to go to a couple of different stores or towns depending on where you'll be.

Making my own fresh coconut milk delights me to no end. So delicious!