Moving to Merida

My name is Lester and my fiancé, Barbara and I have leased a colonial style house for three years in Merida and plan to move there the end of July, 2017. We have lived in Ajijic, Jalisco for several years and look forward to living in a larger city, like Merida.
I am an avid bicycle rider, enjoy golf and pickleball. Barbara intends to get into biking, but loves to work in her garden and has proven herself to be somewhat of a landscape architect.
Barbara was born in Switzerland and lived in Thailand for fifteen years prior to moving to Ajijic.
I was born in Portland, Oregon, USA and owned a business in Monterey, CA prior to retiring to Bend, OR. After my divorce eight years ago, I moved to Ajijic where I met Barbara.
Barbara and I look forward to our new life in Merida and hopefully will meet some people who enjoy socializing and dining in nice restaurants. I am also looking for a biking group to join others in the sport.
We would appreciate answers to our posting from fellow members.

Congratulations.  I'm not there, or even in Mexico yet.  But it sounds like you are very fortunate and have a lot to look forward to.     :cheers:   Dan

Hola Lester and Barbara! I am here in Ajijic and have leased a home until November. I live in central ajijic and it is beautiful and the weather is lovely. But I am bored out of my mind. The lake chapala society is great but I don't do classes or yoga . I come from Florida by way of California and need beachs museums etc. Please let me know your experiences in Merida the city sounds perfect and we ( retired) thinking of trying for a test run few months stay in January, February! Thanks!

Hello Lester!  My husband and I are avid bicyclists as well and lived in Playa del Carmen for a year.  We love Merida and have visited twice, but the crazy drivers in Centro (which is where we would want to be) have worried us about the cycling possibilities there. 

Have you actually bicycled in the city?  The only time we have was on one of the Sunday bici-rutas, where they close down certain streets, but that was somewhat limited by young children riding all over the road on their tiny bikes, etc.  Fun but not really the type of cycling we prefer to do on a near-daily basis. 

We enjoyed the bike paths of Playa though probably think more of Merida overall as a city.  Would be curious to get your feedback re. cycling in Merida, and also would be interested to know if you do find a bike group or club.

Best of luck to you and Barbara in your new life in Merida!

Emily

Lester,

I live in in Colonia Itzimna, Merida which is in the Centro North and have been here since 2015. I like it very much aside from the insane cost of electricity and the CFE. It is a very safe and secure city although like any it has dangerous areas regardless what the government would have you believe. As well, the Yucatan has a totally different attitude than any other area that I have lived or visited in Mexico.

I'm guessing riding a bike on the streets is a gamble with your life aside from Sundays when they close the roads as driving here is worse than Mexico City.

Good luck and shoot me a message when you arrive and we can share a cold one.

Looking for expats in Merida Mexico

Hi Lester and Barbara,
I am also a new resident of Merida, I have been here for two months and have rented an Airbnb for a year in Colonia Buenavista next to the neighborhood of Colonia Itzimna north of Centro.  I chose this area due to the constant breeze.

I like being 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico without the sawgrass of the Carribean this time of year. I have been Kayaking in the lagoons near Progresso, enjoy golf and retired from medicine.  I have been fortunate to travel and live in multiple counties and continent around the world but looking forward to calling Merida home.  My Permante Residency will be granted in three days.

Fell free to contact me as well when you arrive and we can meet and have a dinner or drinks.

Welcome,
Carla