Looking for work

Dear Forum members

I have recently married my Kenyan husband and I am awaiting my dependents pass. I currently live in the U.K. and I am hoping to move to Kenya soon. I am desperately seeking to secure a job before I move over though and have the work permit sorted too!

I have obtained a BA degree 2:1 in Philosophy. I went on to volunteer within the international development sector in Kilifi, Kenya on behalf of VSO and DFID. I have experience of working as a Civil Servant for the UK government investigating complaints against water suppliers within the water service industry and as a Compliance officer enforcing compliance with EU environmental regulations. I now work as an Investigating OFFICER for a regulatory body regulating the healthcare industry in the U.K. I have also worked in the tribunal setting liaising with witnesses, disciplinary panel members, prosecuting and defending lawyers. I have also served as Committee secretary and I am proficient in drafting comprehensive reports assessing evidence.

I am desperately seeking work with a regulatory body in Kenya within an investigations or compliance type role. Alternatively for an NGO or public service body.  Does anyone know how I could find this type of role and if it is likely I'll find something of this kind. Where is a good place to start ? Is it easier to secure a job in Kenya whilst in U.K. or when I arrive there ? I will be super grateful for any advice anyone is able to offer me.

Asante Sana in advance J xxx

Hello,  Firstly;  unfortunately you will not be permitted to work with a Dependents Pass.  By its very nature, this permit assumes that you are going to live in Kenya and be dependent upon your husband to support you.  'Work' usually encompasses voluntary, or paid work.

A work permit is different and you cannot hold two types of pass/permit at the same time.  Its up to you to decide whether your priority is to go and live with your husband on a Dependents Pass or try and find a job and apply for a work permit (its your employer who does this). 

There shouldn't be a reason why you couldn't go on your Dependents Pass and look for work once there?  Immigration used to be a bit awkward about changing one type of pass for another, but I don't know whether this is still the case and it also rather depends on who you deal with there.

http://reliefweb.int/jobs?country=131

The site above has plenty of NGO jobs.  You could also try the UN.  The fact that you have done some work in this sector would be a big plus, as they invariably look for people with experience in the sector.

Also consider asking for a sabbatical for your current job, as a safety net.  When I first went to Kenya, I did this (I was permitted to take up to a year, unpaid).