Hiring Domestic Help

My partner and I are moving to Bali next week and his visa (retirement) will require that he hires someone.  We will be living in Jimbaran as that is where my job is and plan to rent a decent sized 3 bedroom home with a pool.  We have no kids, but will have visitors from time to time.  My job requires that I wear business attire so I'm a bit concerned about commuting on a motorbike in inclement weather on muddy roads, so I'm assuming I will want to either get an international license and buy or rent a car (which I hear is very expensive in Bali), or hire a driver.  My questions are as follows and I'd appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer:

1)  What is the going rate or range of pay for an English-speaking live-in helper in Jimbaran?

2)  Can I pay for the services of a driver who has his own car or will I be expected to buy or rent a car that the driver will maintain and is this cheaper/easier than getting a license and buying/renting a car myself?  What is the range of monthly costs and what is included? 

3)  What are the expected duties of live-in help in Bali?  I'm looking for help with laundry, errands, cleaning, cooking, food shopping, possible yard/pool maintenance (depending on rental contract), etc. 

4)  As a gay interracial couple, will it be harder to find and retain good domestic help?  I know that while Indonesia is largely Muslim, Bali is mostly Hindu.  My experience is that Hindu societies can be more tolerant than Muslim ones with respect to this issue, but not always.

mjamal21 wrote:

My job requires that I wear business attire so I'm a bit concerned about commuting on a motorbike in inclement weather on muddy roads,

Loads do it
A good set of waterproofs and use a scooter so you don't get hit by the road mud and water.

mjamal21 wrote:

1)  What is the going rate or range of pay for an English-speaking live-in helper in Jimbaran?

Varies but an English speaker will cost more. Salary starts at 1 million/month in most of Indonesia but Bali is likely to cost more.

mjamal21 wrote:

2)  Can I pay for the services of a driver who has his own car

Yes, and it's safer. Check the cost of one week hire and negotiate from there.

mjamal21 wrote:

3)  What are the expected duties of live-in help in Bali?  I'm looking for help with laundry, errands, cleaning, cooking, food shopping, possible yard/pool maintenance (depending on rental contract), etc.

All of the above but maybe not the pool.

mjamal21 wrote:

4)  As a gay interracial couple, will it be harder to find and retain good domestic help?  I know that while Indonesia is largely Muslim, Bali is mostly Hindu.  My experience is that Hindu societies can be more tolerant than Muslim ones with respect to this issue, but not always.

Some will object but a lot won't care. It should also be mentioned you're listening to stereotypes as the vast majority of Muslims in Indonesia won't give a damn what you do in your own home. Your prejudicial comment might well be true in some places such as the tribal regions of Pakistan but not so much here.
I know several openly gay (and very camp) men and no one bothers them at all. My daughter's dance teachers are all gay and there is no attempt to hide their sexuality because there's no need to do so, and that's in a mainly Muslim environment.
The local ladyboys tend to get laughed at but never hassled even when they're being a serious nuisance by banging on shop and restaurant doors begging for whatever they can get.

There is one, and only one golden rule when hiring domestic help here in Bali.  And that is simple...only hire from among the populous of the village where you reside.

And where to start?  That is also simple.  Begin with the head of the village, (the kepala desa) who is essential that you get to know anyway.