Best Place to retire between Cancun and Play Del Carmen

We are a couple from the United States looking to retire in Mexico  .  After 33 years in the medical field we are ready to relax and spend the rest of our life in Mexico.     Any recommendations ??  WE want to be located on the beach or at least within walking distance .   Preferably a 2 BR  2 Bath condo or something similar ( Villa, House , or Apartment)    Want to be in a safe area.   We would love to be located somewhere from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen       WE are not sure about the cost of living there??   WE believe our monthly pensions would take care of us.   Any suggestions or help???

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Promotion of your own services is not allowed
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

First we want to know about what areas are the best to live in.   What budget we will need??   What our options are??  Thanks for any help

Hi, since every person as a different way of seeing things may I suggest you make some trips and visit on your own. Some need Walmart, a vehicule others not.

My wife and I traveled in Mexico since 1993. At first, Zihuatanejo was the best place to retire, then the mountains Patzcuaro, then fulltime RVing, then rent a condo finally after 4 years of renting we are in a more small local village on the west coast 80km from Puerto Vallarta  (La Peñita de Jaltemba). No need for a vehicule.

Don't forget to ask questions to locals, expats, experts to get the feel.
So no rush to decide but enjoy Mexico.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Try Puerto Adventures. We just purchased a condo.
After vacationing the area for 20 yrs.
Quiet safe community.  Highly recommend it.
It's a new adventure as owners & need to learn so much. But the area has been our favourite as far as vacationing
Cheers

Have you all made the journey yet.  I'm looking to buy in Puerto Morelos.  I found a 2 bedroom new for about 700,000 mx pesos.  Just curious what you all have found.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi ! We have a Palapa for sale in Paa Mul ! It is a marvellous place !! We have to sell it because we do not leave there and we do not have much time for travelling due to family commitments for now but want to go back for sure in 5 years or so,,, If you are looking for a gated community two steps from the ocean and the jungle, close to playa and puerto aventuras, with Americans, Europeans and Canadians neighbours, please do not look any further! Eleonora

Can you post more info?

Thanks, 

Bryan

eleonora1
Yesterday 23:40:47

1 post
Puerto Aventuras, Quintana Roo

Hi ! We have a Palapa for sale in Paa Mul ! It is a marvellous place !! We have to sell it because we do not leave there and we do not have much time for travelling due to family commitments for now but want to go back for sure in 5 years or so,,, If you are looking for a gated community two steps from the ocean and the jungle, close to playa and puerto aventuras, with Americans, Europeans and Canadians neighbours, please do not look any further! Eleonora

Eleonora,

Would you be able to post more information on the Palapa. 

Thank you,

Bryan

Do u have a pic of it. Sale Price & what is the monthly fee there.
Thanks

I have found a wealth of info on facebook page and blog "two expats in Mexico" This is a couple living in Akumal just south of Playa del Carmen. They have info about what it costs and everything is shared so freely and very practical Spanish lessons.

Thank you

Could you send me a phone number or link to pictures of your place for sale.
Thank u ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hi ! if you send me your email address I can send you many pictures. Unfortunately I have troubles uploading in the expat website!
Many thanks
Elle

@ Elle > Can you please post your offer in the housing in Canada section? it is the most appropriate section.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Hi Priscilla
I did! I was just answering a thread of emails for people asking about a place ...
Thanks

I would highly recommend to check out Merida ad the beaches of Yucatan state. Very affordable property here, half the price as Riviera Maya and twice the size. Safest area in Mexico full of history and culture. Merida is 2.5 hours to Riviera Maya. We have beautiful white sand beaches and water east of Progreso.  Much more laid back atmosphere and lower cost of living here. I used to live in Riviera and now live in Merida. Everyone that visits this area loves it. You don't have to worry about someone building over top of you or bothering you on the beach

We are planning a trip to Merida and surrounding areas. We love the water and the fact that it isn't Playa or Cozumel. My first trip was in 1983(I believe there were dinosaur then:()

Can you suggest a site that honestly represents current listings? And an agent?

Marie  Harlow

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Do you have a contact for me?

auntierie1 wrote:

We are planning a trip to Merida and surrounding areas. We love the water and the fact that it isn't Playa or Cozumel. My first trip was in 1983(I believe there were dinosaur then:()

Can you suggest a site that honestly represents current listings? And an agent?

Marie  Harlow
[email protected]

Will email you :)

cdoher wrote:

Have you all made the journey yet.  I'm looking to buy in Puerto Morelos.  I found a 2 bedroom new for about 700,000 mx pesos.  Just curious what you all have found.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Bryan, I'm assuming you purchased a new 2 bedroom condo for approximately $38,000 US?  That's pretty darned good!  May I ask how you found it; through a realtor or advertised in a local paper?  Does Puerto Morelos have a fair number of English speaking expats or is it largely Spanish speaking locals?  How long have you lived in Mexico?  Sorry, so many questions! :) Thanks for the information about your condo (or I think it's a new condo?).

4theloveofsun wrote:
cdoher wrote:

Thanks,

Bryan

Hi Bryan, I'm assuming you purchased a new 2 bedroom condo for approximately $38,000 US?  That's pretty darned good!  May I ask how you found it; through a realtor or advertised in a local paper?  Does Puerto Morelos have a fair number of English speaking expats or is it largely Spanish speaking locals?  How long have you lived in Mexico?  Sorry, so many questions! :) Thanks for the information about your condo (or I think it's a new condo?).

PM has some exptats yes. You would never find that condo for that price, not close to the beach anyway. IF you want ocean front the best deals are in Yucatan state, 2.5 hours away. Brand new from $150k white sand beach, 3 bedroom over 1600 sq ft

What I found was a 2 bedroom house in Puerto Morelos,  This was new housing addition on the west side of the highway.  They also had 3 bedrooms at a higher price.  I have not purchased yet.  I have friends and family living in the Cancun area at this time.  I'm actually helping a close friend build a small house outside of Cancun.  I will be back there in late April.  I plan to work here in the States at least 3 more years before I retire.  If you would like next time I am there I can get you more information.  I was also waiting for September to see if market price drops in Hurricane season.

Thanks,

Bryan

cdoher wrote:

What I found was a 2 bedroom house in Puerto Morelos,  This was new housing addition on the west side of the highway.  They also had 3 bedrooms at a higher price.  I have not purchased yet.  I have friends and family living in the Cancun area at this time.  I'm actually helping a close friend build a small house outside of Cancun.  I will be back there in late April.  I plan to work here in the States at least 3 more years before I retire.  If you would like next time I am there I can get you more information.  I was also waiting for September to see if market price drops in Hurricane season.

Thanks,

Bryan

prices won't drop trust me....

Hi:  I am also looking to buy a property around that price $600k-$700k pesos either in Cancun, Playa del Carmen or Puerto Morelos.  Houses in that price range are usually in fraccionamientos where the locals live as the Mex government offer some kind of subsidy or mortgage plan for them.  They call it Infonavit houses.  Does anybody has any experience about living or buying on those places?  Are expats buying on those fraccionamientos?