Close

Advice about getting teaching gigs?

Hey guys!

May I ask you for advice?

I want to become an English teacher in China. I am a completely fluent speaker and I feel confident I can teach. However I am not from an English speaking country, my home country is Ukraine. I have a white face, I hear that matters a lot. And I don't have certificates like TOEFL or anything like that. And no previous experience.

But I hear that in China there is a shortage of teachers so people like me can get hired anyway, although it is technically illegal. I want to try and make direct contact with an employer, bypassing middleman agencies.

I would very much appreciate any advice you can give me from your perspective. Thank you in advance and have a great day!

Oleg

You want to find a job without having applicable certificates or experience. You know that you are not eligible for a work visa. You want to avoid all those ("middlemen") whose job it is to help people like you. And you can't figure out that a question about employment in China is better placed in the China forum than the "Expat Cafe" (which is for general, international issues of being a foreigner).
Won't work, my gut feeling says!
At least you could start by getting a TEFL certificate and some teaching experience in your country first. Then widen your search to countries where you'd be allowed to work legally.

Moving to China

Find tips from professionals about moving to China

Travel insurance in China

Enjoy stress-free travel to China

Flights to China

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to China

2 million members!

Watch later