Travel from Sofia to Plovdiv

Hi,

Is it best to go from Sofia to Plovdiv by bus or train? I'll be arriving into Sofia airport tomorrow at 1610

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Jon

Hi Jon,

At that time of day I would recommend taking the bus. You can ride the metro from the airport to Serdika Station and then change lines (towards Obelya) which takes you to the central train station (the bus station is next to it). There is a bus to Plovdiv at least once every hour.
Good travel,
VillageGirl

Thanks villagegirl! Someone has messaged me the same. Based on my extensive lack of local knowledge I will take the bus!  I've just checked the weather - it's going to be red hot

Personally, I prefer the train from Sofia to Plovdiv. I like being able to get up and walk around or open the windows and get a clear view of the countryside.

There is a train at 5:30 and another at 7:25. Avoid the 6:20 train as it is a slow train that stops at every village.

Everyone should experience a Bulgarian train!!! Do not look for 1st class compartments or any hospitality either on the platform, kiosk or attendant.
(the railway police in the station were very helpful as I went in asking who speaks "Anglo" they gladly pointed to one man but to be fair he helped me.  :one
That said my cross country hike from Sofia to Byala (slatini??) was an experience that will stay with me for quite a while, ha-ha now why did I get the coach back!!!  :/

Ha ha! I experienced the lovely and welcoming face of indifference when I got my bus ticket yesterday. But that is not what I've experienced last night and today. What a great place and welcoming people 😃