Job offer and relocating to Malta (2017) looking for advise

Hello everyone :)

Same as many here I am considering the big step of moving to Malta. I have a job offer from a nice company for an exciting new position and am awaiting an offer from their side. Being a resident of the Netherlands, a small and rainy country, the prospect of this new job and moving to Malta is amazing and I am looking to stay for a longer period of time/permanent.

Past weekend I have been scouting the internet and this forum for more information about actual living in Malta and I found it very hard to find consistent and reliable sources for actual living expenses in Malta.

I hope you can advise or point me into the right direction. Moving is a big and life changing decision after all.

My first and most important questions:

Housing
Malta is advertised everywhere to have the cheapest living cost in the EU, however when browsing renting prices I found renting to have become very expensive.

Do the renting prices in online adds relate to the actual price (I read that online add have houses that are not likely to be available/prices are higher)
How much will the renting prices be negotiable? Lets say in %.
Feedback on various websites indicates that starting rents in other seasons than summer are lower. Is this true?

Moving
Did anyone here ship (parts of) their home belongings to Malta? Even though prices will vary from originating country to country, I hope to find experiences/price indications.

Pets
I have one cat. Besides the mandatory rabies injections, are there any other things I should consider?

Job opportunities
Not so much for myself but for my son of 16 who will be coming with me. His English is excellent.

Studying
My son is also looking to start his studies, as he graduated from highschool this year. Experiences from students (especially in a commercially oriented study) would be very welcome.

thanks in advance!

Housing costs varies massively from season to season, needs, area, etc, people cant really answer your questions.

Try shiplowcost for quotes on moving your stuff

You need a pet passport, this is covered all over the place just google, before arrival you need to notify the gov who will have a vet at the airport.

Hi, thanks for your answer and confirmation that renting price indeed differs per season as well. Do you happen to know if this is also for long term rents? (I will be searching around San Gwann)

hi emmi,

like pp said housing costs vary significantly with season and location, st julians, sliema, gzira, san gwann, msida, and even swatar are going to be expensive. can you say where is the job located so we can indicate a fair price for the area?
also rents arent really negotiable, you might get a slight discount if you commit to a full year tho, and maybe just 10 euro a month less. its important also to ask if the owner will be allowing you to be on resident utility rates as if you are not it can be very expensive. and also ask to pay on presentation of the actual bill and that you want a bill every 60 days, they can get this by requesting with the elec company, otherwise you might be up for a hefty bill every 6 months.
bringing a cat you just need to get their pet passport, however renting with pets is very very hard and limits your search for housing greatly!
cost of living being cheap is a load of bull when compared with the wages we receive, food here is expensive, expect prices for food in lidl NL to be pretty much the same as Lidl malta.
there are plenty of jobs in catering/hotels so i dont think your son will have any problem getting a part time to keep him busy :) but expect him to only take the minimum wage which is around €5 per hour.
moving furniture and school i dont have experience in, but know there can be quite a lot of bureaucracy in the beginning,

EmmiV wrote:

Hi, thanks for your answer and confirmation that renting price indeed differs per season as well. Do you happen to know if this is also for long term rents? (I will be searching around San Gwann)

When do you intend moving over to Malta?  As mentioned many, many times on here do not take a lot of notice on whats advertised on agents websites as most will be out of date.

And yes, I can also confirm even long let prices vary greatly from season to season, and if you come in summer you'll be paying the summer price all year round... so best to rent (long let) after September/October...

yeah agree, you could always get a house share until prices calm down and then you would also have the chance to meet people and have time to find somewhere cat friendly, so maybe kitty wont get to come over until later...

Thank you for your answers :)
I am still negotiating with my future employer so its hard to say when exactly I will be moving. He did offer me to come visit Malta already to meet, see the company and already look for houses.

It's such a nice job opportunity and the more I read about life there the more I'm looking forward to go!
The only thing that genuinely concerns me is the cost of housing and living, I'm seeing so many contradictions on this subject. (From equal to NL, to 70% lower in living cost). My head is spinning.. making it quite hard to know now what I'm choosing for, for myself and my son. We will be leaving behind a home and life after all, not something minor to make hasty decisions on.

Sharing houses is out of the question for me. Of course I could rent something short term and look for something long term, but due to fee's it would be optimal of course to settle at once, if possible.

While I'm not expecting to lead a luxury lifestyle, my house, my home is very important to me. Outside of the beach and expat renting area, what in your opinions can I expect to pay for an apartment/maisonette, minimum 2 bedrooms. Preferred ground floor but depends on house and feel. Some outside space, either terrace or small garden. No ultra modern interior needed, I would want AC and decent kitchen equipment/DW.

Thanks in advance :)

It would be a good idea to visit Malta first as suggested to see whether you will like it if you have not been here previously on holiday.  As I mentioned earlier do not take too much notice of the agents websites as properties most likely not available but will give you an indication of rental costs.

Hello Emmi. I have lived in Malta for 30 years, brought 4 children up during the fırst 7 and back then it was great.  The last 10 have seen huge costs increases and frankly outsıde the main urban areas ıt will cost you approx. 750Euros per month plus utilities for a reasonable place to rent. Buyıng is an option but you will need 200k for a decent place.
Food costs are hıgh here and eating out is on a par with NL. The weather ıs hotter and the beaches and sea are lovely.
If you do it I would strongly suggest you come over for a two weeks to a month and stay either in the North or the South to avoid the busy expensive expat areas. Try it out for sure as I think the change will be hugs for you and your child.
Hope this is helpful.
Good luck.

As for areas, I'd suggest you look into Mgarr in the north-west, Mellieha maybe (but AFTER the summer), probably also Xemxija (but houses there tend to be even worse build quality than the Maltese 'standard'), both in the north, or in the south: Marsaskala, Zejtun,  maybe Birzebbuga (don't think I spelt that right...)... that's where it's a bit cheaper, and partly also where there are fewer expats...

And as has already been said, you do need to come here first before taking a decision...

I live in Xemxija and my place is fine ;-)

I know there are nice places in Xemxija, friends of mine got an amazing apartment there, but often the cheaper ones are only built for the summer (windows and doors let in cold air, walls are wet, ...), same in Mellieha - Ghadira area...

Hi everyone
Thank you for all your answers, together with everything I researched it was a great help.
After long and difficult considerations I'll not be accepting the job and move to Malta. Professionally and financially it is not the right move for me and my son.
A bit disappointed yes, but sometimes you have to follow your mind in stead of wishes.