Trash collection

I am looking for information about trash collection in Belize.  Is there a regular collection service?

😊Thanks

TheIvies wrote:

I am looking for information about trash collection in Belize.  Is there a regular collection service?

Thanks

Garbage has no one right answer. When we moved to Belize we lived in San Pedro, the garbage was picked up twice a week but not necessarily on the same days every week. Garbage is typically left in drums at your gate and is picked up when they get to it. San Pedro is a major center and is indicative of most major centers.

We now live in Bullet Tree, a smaller village outside of San Ignacio. When we first moved here the town council paid a local to provide garbage collection and it was picked up about once a month (Maybe three weeks or maybe five weeks). That contractor was let go when he tried to raise the BZ$2.00 (US$1.00)/house rate. For several months there was no garbage collection. Fortunately we rent and our landlord took care of it for us. We now have a private contractor again that picks up on the old schedule of somewhere between 3 & 5 weeks and charges us BZ$4.00 each time. Well, except the time I gave him a five and I was told that they don't make change. Just thankful it is picked up and that a $20. wasn't all I had.

Like most things in Belize these are things that you cannot assume will be the same as we are used to in Canada and the US. Just one of the many questions you will need to know to ask when renting or buying in any area of Belize. ;)

Weekly collection by cheerful Hopkins Sanitation Department. We pay them directly, in advance.

Thank you Bill! This is what I was looking for😃

In Seine Bight we had garbage collection every Tuesday and Saturday. Bring the can to the road first thing in the morning, and then pick it up once word and/or smell got around the truck had passed :-)
That was before BWS took over, and we paid just under 40.00 per month.

Now in rural Cayo, we have collection every Saturday morning. Homer Shaw is pretty much like clock work :-) We pay 5.00 per pick up. Homer recycles as well, so we separate our stuff.

We really appreciate that service!

Thanks! It's nice to receive the info😊

It's great to get this constructive info from some friendly people. We're learning. Looking forward to life in Belize 😃😃😃

If you have nothing helpful to say maybe you should not answer. People have genuine questions if you wish not to answer don't. I know you're probably lonely and bored but please don't . Thank you

Most respondents, not all, are friendly and helpful. I like that. You do have a point though...could do without the 'smart' remarks. They're not useful.  Thanks😃

Belize2 wrote:

If you have nothing helpful to say maybe you should not answer. People have genuine questions if you wish not to answer don't. I know you're probably lonely and bored but please don't . Thank you

My intention is not to criticize this members comment, it is just the most recent example that the  Forum Tip (below) refers to. I hope they will understand.

As one of two "Expat Advisors" here on this forum I have asked the moderation team several times for the ability to pin some tutorial posts on how to navigate this forum (it's not very intuitive), as well as, how to use it's features. To date I have received no response. So I would like to start adding some tips that will help to keep our forum a bit more focused by eliminating some unintended ambiguity and maybe some hurt feelings.

FORUM TIP: When responding to a particular member, if you click on the "quote" option in their comment, it will inject their comment with a shaded background into  your comment. This will let that person, as well as people that visit later know exactly who your comment is directed to. As threads get longer some comments become ambiguous without that clarification.

To all members:
Let me know with a simple yay or nay. Would anyone benefit from a thread with a link to a short video tutorial on how to navigate the forum and use some little known features like the quote feature, as well as, several others that are hidden but might make your experience better, and the forum in general a better resource. It could then be shared with new members as they join.

Good info😊

billdoesbelize wrote:

To all members:
Let me know with a simple yay or nay. Would anyone benefit from a thread with a link to a short video tutorial on how to navigate the forum and use some little known features like the quote feature, as well as, several others that are hidden but might make your experience better, and the forum in general a better resource. It could then be shared with new members as they join.

Absolutely yes Bill.

It would also be useful to respondents, if you could point out to newcomers that Belize is a very diverse country so what is applicable of one area is most often very different in another area.

Constructive. 😐

I would personally love this, and I think all the other forums would end up picking it up if you did it. I know you've gotten no response, but I think ultimately this benefits all of expat.com. I'd recommend you get a medal for it, in fact.

I would love it  also. Thanks so much. I learn a lot here.

All in for that here. Thanks Bill

I am a new member and whole heartedly agree with you Bill !!

Yay.  I'm new and this would help me alot. Thanks

I would very much like that also bill ..i am new to the forum and have no idea how to navigate it as well as a few others that i would like to llook in on on other countries that I am also thinking about retiring to.
Thanks so much for the helpful tips

Back to the original thread topic Trash Collection 😎

As With many things in Belize what one can expect from one district, town or village to another is different.

In Placencia Village my bagged trash (they don't do garbage cans) is picked up twice a week. No recycling. Cost is included in my monthly water bill. Water bill minimum is $10 BZD and that includes the first 1,000 gallons, additional usage is one cent per gallon. I know there is another break point, but don't know what it is. The water on the Placencia peninsula is very good, soft, and most folks drink it out of the tap.

The water line comes across the lagoon and serves north almost to Mia Beach. An independent operator trucks water north up the peninsula for folks to suplament cisterns in dry times at $0.05/gallon.

The water district/company has plans to extend service north, but it is an unfunded plan...

I hear there is someone doing periodic recycling pick up in placencia. Not sure who, but there was talk on the Placencia What's Happening group.