Close

Questions about life in Amsterdam

hi! my husband and i lived in australia for two years. everything went well, we both had permanent jobs. we were planning to settle there. the only issue we had was that our eldest son got denied of visa because of his health condition, so we scrapped all out plans of settling in aus. now, my husband's company offered him to be transfered to amsterdam branch. his company took care of our entire family's visa. my question is, how difficult is it to find a job for myself in amsterdam? do i need to learn dutch to get one? we visited amsterdam last year and i can say that they are fluent in english compared to other european countries we visited. but when i tried searching for a job online, most of their job postings are in dutch.

bevdevilla :

,,,,,my question is, how difficult is it to find a job for myself in amsterdam? do i need to learn dutch to get one? we visited amsterdam last year and i can say that they are fluent in english compared to other european countries we visited. but when i tried searching for a job online, most of their job postings are in dutch.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.  Depends on what sort of job you want; many Dutch people speak English to varying degrees of fluency and many English people have found some kind of work.  My opinion is that you'll find it very hard to find a well paying job without speaking Dutch.  I've always put it like this; unless you know somebody who will get you a position, to get a job anywhere, you need:

1.  Relevant experience.
2.  Relevant qualifications.
3.  Speak the local language.
4.  Luck.

Your prospects increase with the more of these boxes you tick, so the question you need to ask yourself is, how many can you tick off.

Perhaps a good place to start is to have a chat with your husbands HR department, see what they.

What sort of work are you looking for?

Expatriate health insurance in Amsterdam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Amsterdam

Moving to Amsterdam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Amsterdam

Travel insurance in Amsterdam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Amsterdam