Moving to Ho Chi Minh City in a week

I've found a job in HCMC and I'm moving there in a little more than a week.
I've never been to Vietnam before (or Asia for that matter). I've read a bit about the city and looked at a few real estate websites, but I'm not sure where I should look for an apartment and what would be the best location for me.
I'll be working in district 5 and I'd like to live close to work (ideally within a walking distance). However, I haven't found much information about D5 (just that there aren't many expats living there).
I'd prefer to rent a small apartment ( a studio or one-bed) and I guess my budget would be about $500.
Any tips or info will be greatly appreciated.

It would depend on what part of D5 your workplace is.

Everyone is moving to Saigon these days. Can you search the forum for recent 'moving' posts? Lots of advice.
Basically, ask your workplace to provide a Vietnamese helper, get a hotel in Bui VIen area bc easy to speak english there, use Vietnamese websites for apt search, bring cash for 2 months deposit and 2 months-worth for stuff and emergencies, expect long leases, studios are common, bring ATM card, bring smartphone with google maps + translation + currency, you should find a place in a week.
D5 is great if you like inner-city. Lots of color, markets, energy.

Thanks for your reply  :)
On reflection, I think I'll also be looking at rooms, not just apts.
Does anyone know of any particular websites where I should start looking?

My GF, Trinh, may be able to help you, as she has time in the coming weeks.

or private message me.

Richard

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

There is a housing section on this website with rooms advertised. I saw some nice places there (I check out appartments and rooms for fun in anticipation of my move next year...helps when I get a bit excited).

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for the tip!  :) I'll certainly have a look!

If you know anyone who is renting out a small flat or looking for flatmates not far from the border of D1, D3 and D5 please get in touch. Thanks!

There is abundant supply of accommodations for rent in Saigon, more than enough to meet demand. Walking around any neighbourhood and you will find many "for rent" sign on the window. A search on Google will yield more results than you have time to read through. And of course, the old Craigslist:

https://vietnam.craigslist.org/search/roo

Thanks Ciambella! Walking around and looking at FOR RENT signs sounds like a good idea!  :)

FYI, the sign FOR RENT in Vietnamese would read CHO THUÊ.

Here are some good tips on finding cheap rooms for rent: https://www.citypassguide.com/en/living … oom-saigon

As for the part in the article about "live above a restaurant", I've done that some years back when sis and I spent almost half a year seeing the country. In Saigon, we had a studio apartment on half of the 3rd floor above a hair salon, all utilities included. We paid $120/m.

I've read this article before. Some very useful tips!