Academic certificates for work permit

Hi,

I urgently need your advice please!
I have a job offer from Guangdong and the school is requesting my original academic certificates. I find this odd, knowing that they are already in possession of the legalised copies of my academic certificates. I am very reluctant to send the originals but they are saying the authorities want to see them. Is this normal? Has this happened to any of you? Thanks very much in anticipation!

short answer is don't do it.
When applying for Z visa from Chinese consulate you will have to show them the originals and I think most consulates offer Chinese translation and legalization. After arriving China you still need to show the originals while applying for work permit.
When applying for Chinese foreign expert certificate, you may need to submit the originals through official channel, still, no ups/dhl to Unknown school in unknown town in guangdong.
Have you paid your nearby Chinese consulate a visit?

As I understand it, you can bring the certificates with you and show them to the authorities when you arrive.  Alternatively, depending upon the rules, you could send them via registered receipt acknowledged service.  Another suggestion is that your university could send a certified copy direct to your school or agent.
Hope these suggestions help.