How to make friends in Toronto

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Toronto :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Toronto??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I think the best way to make friends in Toronto is to sign up for an interest class. Colleges, Universities, and the Toronto District School Board all offer classes you can take at night or on weekends. Or take yoga classes, dance classes, language classes, etc!

jdawg! when I was new to Toronto I did exactly what you suggested but I found people lacked the spark, people are not free, they are closed. People take dance classes but don't mingle, they think what they are looking for is somewhere other than where they are.  I was once taking dance lessons; the instructor was doing his best to pair people during the lesson, when the lesson was over he happened to ask a group of women what their pans were for the evening... one of the women from the group replied... we're thinking!!....where can we get men? the instructor was amused and said don't you have them right here? you just took lessons with them, you can go and practice more and chill out, you already know them.. all you have to do is connect with them and go where you want to go...
unfortunately nothing happend.
I once took hypnosis classes, a single woman came from out of town and checked into the hotel where the classes were being held.  It was either a friday or saturday, I asked her if she had plans for the evening? she said she did'nt, so I asked her if she would like to get-together with fellow students for a drink... She replied saying nah! I think I'm just going to go up to my room.  A few of us did get togeter on the last day, some of us are still in touch but not too many people are open - it is unfortunate!  I thik people need to be open minded.

Kind of surprising. I would expect Toronto (since it is such a big place and a vibrant city) to have very social people. Weird.

I thought Alberta (west in general) was more conservative. However, people from work are always doing dinners, going for drinks outside of work etc. In some of my previous jobs, people used to getting annoying and too pushy all the time asking to tag along.

I saw the samething when I was going to U of C and living in the dormitory where people used to taunt me for not going drinking with them...LOL.

alphilan wrote:

jdawg! when I was new to Toronto I did exactly what you suggested but I found people lacked the spark, people are not free, they are closed. People take dance classes but don't mingle, they think what they are looking for is somewhere other than where they are.  I was once taking dance lessons; the instructor was doing his best to pair people during the lesson, when the lesson was over he happened to ask a group of women what their pans were for the evening... one of the women from the group replied... we're thinking!!....where can we get men? the instructor was amused and said don't you have them right here? you just took lessons with them, you can go and practice more and chill out, you already know them.. all you have to do is connect with them and go where you want to go...
unfortunately nothing happend.
I once took hypnosis classes, a single woman came from out of town and checked into the hotel where the classes were being held.  It was either a friday or saturday, I asked her if she had plans for the evening? she said she did'nt, so I asked her if she would like to get-together with fellow students for a drink... She replied saying nah! I think I'm just going to go up to my room.  A few of us did get togeter on the last day, some of us are still in touch but not too many people are open - it is unfortunate!  I thik people need to be open minded.

This is not a suggestion but you could get an insight into the reality of things.
I went to a club with a friend on Saturday....while having our drink my friend opened communication with a woman standing near us, he asked her if he could buy her a drink, she communicated with her girl- friend and decided it would be okay, my friend got both the girls a drink and looked forward to chatting further.  I guess it was obvious! But the girls kind of had their backs towards us and didn't show much interest (this is after buying them a drink), my friend asked her twice if she would like to dance....she was polite and said not this number…. When she felt like dancing she danced with her girl-friend. 
Wouldn't you agree? 1. There was no class! or decency what so ever! I have nothing to say!  2. What kind of message do men receive in general when they see two women dancing? On the other hand I've been asked by women who wanted to dance and were classy enough to ask me for a dance.
This also reminds me of an incident where I asked a woman for a dance.. she responded in the negative! so I moved on and asked someone else, she agreed, so we danced for quite a while, as soon as we were done,  the first woman jumped out of her chair and said "I'm so sorry! I didn't know you could dance!  let's dance"  I was taken by surprise and short for words but I let her know... there was no reason for her to be sorry, I wasn't offended at all, then she insisted! isn;t it amazing??

My point here! Is!……. as much as women want to meet men, when they actually do.... they unconsciously put on this protective armour around themselves  that leaves them wondering and asking .... where are all the men?  Do I make sense? 

The women who in my opinion was classy and agreed to dance with me did not magically end up seeping with me nor did I ask her if she was available to sleep with me.  All we did was to do what we went there to do i.e. to dance!  where as the first woman also went there to dance but she had issues, she ended insisting that I dance with her.

I guess we need to appreciate – reality!…. Men may live under a myth that they make the pick…… the reality is the other way around.  It just appears to men that they pick up women.  It's the woman who decides.  So! I don't think women should have a problem, men are all around you..ladies!. 
I don't think meeting people (for both the genders) is an issue!  It's the chatter in the unconscious mind that deters! (both the genders).   
Some suggestions – 1. if you go to clubs don't dance with your girl-friends.  2.  It is not easy for average guys to break into a group of women to start a conversation, even if you are interested in someone and you are not the type to make the first move, it will be too overwhelming for him - so don't be in a group, women who go out in groups go back home just mingling with one another.  3.  Women in groups are jealously protective about one another, they are never helpful, I guess it's an unconscious program running in the mind “How come she is getting the attention?”

I'm sorry to hear that you have having such a hard time.
Your stories are really funny.
ok so let's hang out.
I'm going to a concert-party tomorrow night at Revival on College St. Please email me if you are interested.
thanks

First! Let me tell you....I like your attitude.  I hope both men and women have the same attitude - this is the way girls could meet guys between 20 - 30 too.  For those of you who are afraid to meet outside your age - Don't be afraid to meet an older guy - as I mentioned about 'magic' if magic does not take place, he could have a single younger brother or a single son and if magic takes place - you'll know the stars were aligned.

Second - I think you mis-undestood me. I am not having a hard time. I just related some of my observations.  I have been very fortunate to meet wonderful girls/women.  I don't know what some women experience with men, but the general attitude is that every guy/man wants to take a woman to bed.
I happened to call up a woman who had taken a course with me, I met her once at the Arizona restaurant in Toronto/Mississauga and maybe on two more occasions with another classmate who was her friend long before the course -  she asked me to go over to her place, so I took some wine over.  We partied all evening, at a certain time I thought I should go home, so I thanked her for the wonderful evening and was about to leave.  She stood dumbfounded and couldn't help but ask "Do you mean to leave without having sex, is something wrong?" I assured her nothing was wrong, that we should cherish it another time.  I met her three more times and at the end of every session she would want to know if she would get lucky, unfortuantely no magic took place, then we went together to another classmate's place for a pool party and BBQ - and there! - there was magic between the hostess. 
There were many more instances where the women did not get lucky but we are great friends!  Don't misconstrue - These women are all great looking and have a wonderful heart.  I think what's missing is.... both the genders are missing the art and secret of deriving pleasure - the obvious is not the answer.

I understand, I was referring to the fact that Torontonians are not very friendly-I'm originally from Montreal so I can understand that.
Lucky hostess! lol;)
I was an expat in Asia for 5 years {I just got back} Most of my friends have moved on: marriage & kids or trying to get pregnant.I met so many people in China, other Xpats and locals-never a dull moment. I couldn't wait to get off work to go "play" there was always something. We celebrated EVERYTHING. But here is like...:sleep
I can't wait for the taste of the Danforth- Caribana in a few weeks!!

i'm coming to Toronto in a week. i'm 14 and lithuanian. i don't know anybody there. the comments that said people in Toronto aren't friendly kinda freaked me out, but still it would be nice to know somebody there, or have someone to show me the city. my e-mail is [email protected] it would really mean a lot to me :)

Hey! there,
Its not that ppl in Toronto are not friendly. I would say outta 10 ppl you gonna meet 3 would be having their shields up so my suggestion dont freak out or something instead the one who are friendly concentrate on those. PPl have variety of reasons to be closed and no one has time to analyze why is it that ? Ok some ppl do like to analyze but personally speaking i would prefer to start convo and if positive result is their cool or else move on.

Its better to exude positive energy and have fun instead of thinking about negativity around ya. My 2 cents..;-)

Latta.
Rall..

In my opinion, if you have friends in your country….. You can make real friends in any other place! Cos it's all about you and how you treat ppl and your behaves
For me… I'm sure once I'm out of the plane… I'll get many friends :lol:

Just try to be honest and real and a good friend with your actions not just words!

I can only speak from personal experience, but I think you'll find that a lot of people in toronto are less than friendly to new faces because they're waiting for the con. There are a great deal of people with their hands outstretched waiting for money, looking for someone to do something for them, looking for a customer to sell something to. I think you'll find that the earlier idea of meeting people through clubs or special interests is a good idea, but you'll need to take your time. You can't make it happen by buying someone a drink, that'll more often than not actually get their backs up. Montreal is probably the most openly friendly city I've been in within Canada.  I haven't found Calgary (never made it up to Edmonton) or Vancouver to be any better though, just different.  Best of luck everyone.

I make extensive use of Meetup when I arrive in a new city, even if I'm there for a few days. Toronto has some very active friend and social groups on Meetup, the vast majority of them free and the vast majority of them quite welcoming to expats. The best one out of the bunch in my humble opinion is TSG Toronto Social Group.

Hello,
My name is Lenin,male 35. I am going to Toronto on March, I am peruvian, I'd like to meet people to be friends.
Go to the party, cinema, walk, visit interisting places and know more the Toronto city are my hobbies.
I like to dance salsa music and I could teach free to who is interested.
Thank you very much,

My email: [email protected]

Lenin

So much relieved to hear all your stories. All this time, I thought I'm the one who is out of sync and very different and that's why without company, even though most people I know are first something else and second Canadian. Like Italian, Arab or Asian Canadian. But they all prefer to stick with their own lots, while there aren't enough of them, perhaps that's why they are less interested to mingle.

That is probably the date you first registered with this site :). Have a good day, Regards, Eric.

I am originally from Toronto. I would suggest to meet new people you try sports. When I was there playing soccer we were always taking in new players. My friends and I were always welcoming. We play then go out for a beer (or a few) and wings. If that doesn't interest you then there are many other sports where people are always going out after the game, like volleyball, flag football, ultimate frisbee, etc. Best bet for meeting people. You just need to find the right place to start. I have friends from all over because they started playing soccer with us.
Mike

Here's some good websites with social and networking events where you can meet people -

actionawaits.com
torontocssc.com
meetmarketadventures.com
jci.ca