Getting American tax number to file US taxes with wife abroad

For the first time I have to file taxes in the USA while I live abroad in Spain and I'm married to a foreign spouse. To do this right and most advantageous to us my foreign wife will need her own US tax id,
I know that one can get one through the US consulate in Spain.

It is called a Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and it is needed to complete and return a  Form SS-5 (application ITIN for non resident alien spouse abroad) to the IRS, the US tax man.

Does anyone know exactly how to go about this and could he or she share some experiences?


New topic