Wanting to move to Rio for one year....what are the obstacles??

I have a 10 year visa, but I would like to expat for one calendar year to start and possibly make the determination to stay fulltime if Im really loving it. I tried searching for comprehensive threads on the subject, but I would like info on the following from all of you experienced expatters herein:
1. Whats the best avenue to use to find an apartnment? I have a few friends in Rio, but would like to search myself online as well. I have joined a couple Facebook groups that seem to advertise rentals and other services/items.
2. How easy or hard is it to rent and get utilities, etc?
3. What paperwork would I need to be able to be a long term resident alien?
4. If I want to work, (Im a Finance/Accounting/Audit Consultant), would it be a huge obstacle for large companies to hire me as a consultant? I keep a side hustle by doing the Accounting for some small biz clients here in US.

Any and all advice is appreciated. And I forot to state that Eu falar um pouco de protuguese. Still have a lot to learn though!!!

Unless you can get a firm in Brazil to hire you and get you a work visa none of the items on the lisat will be legally possible.

Jim

Thanks for the response. So moving there even if I dont need to work is out of the question "legally" as well?

dzackery wrote:

Thanks for the response. So moving there even if I dont need to work is out of the question "legally" as well?

You can only stay a maximum of 180 days in a rolling calendar year. 90 days is the starting point with a possible extension of 90 days. Understanding Portuguese is important as well as speaking it. Renting a place is a crazy ordeal and from what I have read on this forum it can get very chaotic and challenging.
Have you thought about 6 months of living in Brazil. I came for 3 months on my first trip and looked around met some people and went back to the states for 16 months to think is Brazil for me?. Anyway I returned, got married and now I will try to " Live Happily Ever After". Good luck with your decision and if you have not used your visa? You have 90 days from issuance or you will need to reapply for a new one. You did not state  whether you have traveled to Brazil?

Hi there
have a look in  OLX ive sent you the URL, 
http://rj.olx.com.br/imoveis

dzackery wrote:

You can allways get married (lol) and stay as long as you want (smh). I see by your photo you have a animal. I don't think you will be able to bring it for a visit and importing one is also a challenge from what have read on the forum there is a lot of good information on the forum, just use the query box and it will provide a few anwsers that may require one to research more thoroughly. Numbeo is good site for the cost of living for Brazil and you might want to use a money conversion chart. I researched bringing a Cane Corso dog to Brazil in the future and there are some hoops one has to jump through from what I have read, yet if I want to bring the animal in country then I am prepared to jump through the hoops on rollerblades ( I don't skate/lol). Take care and Welcome to the Brazil Forum

Hello. I have traveled to Brazil multiple times and stated earlier I believe that I can speak a little Portuguese...im still learning!!

Thanks for all the advice. I have a 10 year visa and i spend a few weeks a year in Rio.

Muito Obrigado!!! :)

Obrigado Alascana!

I have a friend that lives in Zona Norte that suggested the exact same thing after a double date we had with some ladies in March when I as last there...lol. If I was struck by lightning (AGAIN) that would be a very viable option. I do believe I will use my 90 days and do a short term stay then most likely extend.

dzackery wrote:

Obrigado Alascana!

I have a friend that lives in Zona Norte that suggested the exact same thing after a double date we had with some ladies in March when I as last there...lol. If I was struck by lightning (AGAIN) that would be a very viable option. I do believe I will use my 90 days and do a short term stay then most likely extend.

All I can say is Choose Wisely my friend, make sure you want to spend the rest of your life with the person and watch her blossom for everything that looks good to you may not be good for you (lol)
Take your time at the candy store and mind your finances for as our beloved mentor James (rip) would say a Brazilian woman with a debit/credit card and checkbook is a like hades with no turning back. I am up north and it is utterly ridiculous when it comes to running a household. And I always have to tell my wife  and explain a budget. And bring all the foods you like. I was fortunate and unfortunate to be able return to the states for my mom's funeral in April. I took 3 suitcases with me 2 with clothing just enough for 2weeks (lol) and that all the clothing would fit in 1 suitcase for my return and then I had family donate a few and went to the Salvation Army and purchased a few so on the return I had 8 suitcases (lol) needed syrup and pancakemix (lol) anyway most airlines will let you bring in up to 8 suitcases. Also once it goes over 70lbs you can pack up to a 100 lbs for the charge is the same for a extra suitcase at least with the airline I flew at the time, so I paid for 5 extra bags and I believe it was $75.00 usd per bag.
that's my story and I'm sticking to it (lol) planning to take the wife home in June of 2018 can you say 16 suitcases of goodies.(smh)

I brought a dog from Texas few years ago and was ridiculously easy. Exactly what are needed are documents that prove the health of the animal, previously obtained.

Paulo_Rio wrote:

I brought a dog from Texas few years ago and was ridiculously easy. Exactly what are needed are documents that prove the health of the animal, previously obtained.

So you are permanent here in Brazil? .

I may be wrong yet I checked on line and there it stated that the animal needed to cleared by a International Dog Handling Association of some type?  at the moment i dont have the name of the Association.

I don't know if the rules have changed and if I may inquire how many years was it ago you bought the dog in to Brazil? .

I am just wondering for I would like to bring a dog in if I cannot find what I want here in Brazil and I may have been looking at a unaccompanied dog?.

Just want to know to avoid a hassle and have the animal not  caught up in the good old red tape here in Brazil.

thanks and do you know if it is a provlem reentering the US with the animal.

Yes, now I am a brazilian citizen.

The dog was from a brother who lives in Texas. In 1998/99.
Take a look here: (Portuguese, sorry)
https://www.estimacao.com.br/posso-comp … -exterior/