American Psychologist Looking to Relocate (Primarily Florence)

Hello All!

I am new to the expat site and I saw an old post regarding the process it takes to transfer (?) one's Clinical Psychology license to Italy. I am wondering if there are any new updates from old responses.

My current understanding is that it would be best to complete licensure in the states first, then have transcripts from undergraduate and graduate schools sent to each respective state's Italian consulate as well as the Dichiarazione di Valore. From there, I must also have my transcripts officially translated and sent to the ministry (in Florence?). Once my transcripts have been approved by committee, I will be asked to sit for the Misura Compensativa (written or oral?) to prove I am worthy of licensure. Once everything is completed, I may then apply to the local (Florence) Ordine Psicologi to register as a practicing psychologist in Florence.

Is this an accurate understanding of the current process? What are some specifics people have done to prepare for this process? Where are applications found? How did people find employment in this field in Italy? Did anyone pursue a teaching opportunity (maybe with students from the states) first? Is anyone willing to help guide through this process? Is the Misura Compensativa like a jurisprudence exam? If so, how did people prepare for it? Did anyone consider taking further courses in Italy to further acquaint themselves with Italian culture/practice in psychology?

Ok, I think those are all of my questions! Thank you, in advance, to any and everyone who responds to this post! I am hoping to get started on this process as soon as possible!

Hi Sherly !

I've not direct experience in this regard, the only thing I can say is that I think you could ask these organisations directly:

1) The University of Florence. From their website it seems they handle the issue of recognising the title:
http://www.unifi.it/vp-10925-recognitio … itles.html

2) The psychologists Association of Florence (Tuscany). I know they can recognise the Clinical Psychology license if you come from an EU country.
Otherwise, if you come fron another country, you'll need to have your degree recognised first, then do a period of practice and a final examination.
You can ask them about this. Unfortunately I don't see an English version of the website but at the bottom there's their email:
https://www.ordinepsicologitoscana.it/c … .php?t=992

Hi! I m an italian psychologist.
Sincerly I don't know the "journey" to relocate your professional profile here.
But I agree that you have to call the "association",  the so called "Albo", of your region. It is the "heart" association of the psychologists.
It is not easy to find job, to be honest.
We are a lot, and, as usual, there are a lot of rules and laws which change often :).
But please, don't give up... You will soon learn the "articulated" burocracy, and then things will be easier! :).

Plus, I don't Know how in US is, but here there are different kind of "titles": counselling is not fully recognized, and in Italy it is part of the psychologist's field of action. A psychotherapist is another profile, he/she is a psychologist who has studied for years, after being already a psychologist, to be able to treat the pathologic patients,
So, please, when you contact the Albo, tell them if you are a psychologist or a psycotherapist (I know it is not easy to understand a system which is maybe different from the one of your own country. If you have the same differences between the profiles, it could be faster for you to relocate).
Best wishes! :)
Alessia

Salve Paolo!

I did not see your response until now; I apologize for the late reply! I will definitely review the websites; thank you! Are you a psychologist as well? Are you aware of how EuroPsy might impact transfer of my license; for instance, transferring license to an "easier" European country and registering under EuroPsy?

Thank you for your help!

Sherly

Salve Alessia!

I was unaware of your response; I apologize for the late reply! Thank you for the information! Are there many psychologists who have private practices in Italy or do they usually work with agencies/group practices? I am wondering if establishing a private practice might be an easier journey as opposed to seeking employment with an agency. Additionally, my degree is in Clinical Psychology with a specialization in child and adolescent psychology: is that a major market in Italy? I also have experience with program evaluation and development so there is room for consultation as well! Consultation is now growing in the states; is this the same in Italy?

It seems from your description I would be considered a psychologist as I am in my early career, is that correct? Also, is it that those with advanced degrees in psychology do not get licensed, their "status" is based on years of experience? At what point does the examination to practice play a role?

There are a lot of questions, I know; I would greatly appreciate your insights! I hope you are well!

Sherly