Recognition of foreign qualifications in South Africa

Hello everyone,

Were your professional qualifications recognised in South Africa? What country did you complete your qualifications in? What profession are you in?

Did you have to go through any formalities to get your qualifications recognised, such as to have them translated?

If your qualifications weren't recognised, were there any additional tests or exams you had to complete before you were able to practice your profession in South Africa or continue with your studies?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

my foreign qualifications are partial recognized.but now my brother who is an electrician is re- trade tested in RSA,which i think the govt is doing that because of a higher level of unemployment with so many graduates coming from colleges and no jobs.

Problem in southern africa is that govt cannot create more jobs but will just make the existing jobs more competitive etc.

most jobs require experience of which is scarce here.the graduates with no/little exoerience quality of workmanship is very low and not acceptable to clients.

personal i do not think i will be in SA next year.

This is a great question. How do we find out if our qualifications are recognised here? I am a qualified teacher from the US, specifically New York.

they normal have SAQA board which will evaluate your qualications and re-grade you according to their own standards.

the problem is that there is no guarantee for you that you will a salary as per your grade unless you work for govt depts.i think apatheid is is still alive in private companies which are white owned.

My qualifications have not yet been equated to South African standards but I am a  qualified  Diesel and Petrol Mechanic who underwent Apptrenticeship Training in Zimbabwe and attained National Craft Certificates  and  furthered to a Diploma In Road Motor Transport Management and am looking for any suitable position as I equate my professional documents to the country's  standards.

The SAQA board evaluates qualifications from abroad. It is best to use an agent if you are not IN SA, as the process is long.