Recognition of foreign qualifications in Singapore

Hello everyone,

Were your professional qualifications recognised in Singapore? What country did you complete your qualifications in? What profession are you in?

Did you have to go through any formalities to get your qualifications recognised, such as to have them translated?

If your qualifications weren't recognised, were there any additional tests or exams you had to complete before you were able to practice your profession in Singapore or continue with your studies?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

My uni is listed on the SAT tool but not on their list of acceptable institution - so is my uni considered recognised in Singapore?

Obviously not a proper answer to your questions but would like to know anyone's comment on this pls :)

For work visa purposes, the Singapore Ministry of Manpower (MoM) maintains an international list of institutions (schools, universities, etc.) with recognised certificates. This list is frequently updated and available on the MoM website.
However, there are many other factors influencing work visa issuance (e.g. experience, salary, and how urgently the employer or the Singapore labour market needs your skills) that can overwrite the need for a recognised degree or certificate.
There are some professions (e.g. legal or medical), where trade associations must approve your recognition or grant permits before you can work here.
Other than that, of course each employer individually decides which qualification they deem relevant for the job, or not.

Howvto apply madam

Prasadravi44: I am not a madam, but would still like to understand what you want to apply for and why? Maybe then I can help you.

Hi Priscilla,
I'm a teacher with the British Council which is UK govt affiliated, so a local audit of qualifications was not required, though a degree from an English speaking country was a pre-requisite. I can't comment on other industries, but I believe a higher qualification is essential if you're Western. As far as I am aware all recognised foreign qualifications are accepted, though some may have to be verified through a local authority. Securing a work permit is quick and straightforward, as is renewing, and although it is possible to sponsor yourself, I wouldn't recommend it - secure the job before you come. Singapore has a large migrant workforce and a long-term expat population, but the govt is tightening up its visa process, and even starting to revoke those in lower income brackets. So it's best to have a skill that they're after (e.g. financial services, consultancy, education), and which pays well.
I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Jasper