Recognition of foreign qualifications in Malta

Hello everyone,

Were your professional qualifications recognised in Malta? What country did you complete your qualifications in? What profession are you in?

Did you have to go through any formalities to get your qualifications recognised, such as to have them translated?

If your qualifications weren't recognised, were there any additional tests or exams you had to complete before you were able to practice your profession in Malta or continue with your studies?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

The British UKTEFL - (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)  certificates are not recognised in Malta.

Malta is the only country in the EU that regulates its English Language Teaching to Foreign Students Industry.
One requires a Permit issued in Malta to teach here.

To obtain a Permit one has to pass:
The written Maltese TEFL examination
The SEPTT examination (Spoken English Profficiency Test for Teachers)
The TELT examination - attending 60 hours of teaching methodology lectures, complete assignments and pass teaching practicals.

rooikat wrote:

The British UKTEFL - (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)  certificates are not recognised in Malta.

Malta is the only country in the EU that regulates its English Language Teaching to Foreign Students Industry.
One requires a Permit issued in Malta to teach here.

To obtain a Permit one has to pass:
The written Maltese TEFL examination
The SEPTT examination (Spoken English Profficiency Test for Teachers)
The TELT examination - attending 60 hours of teaching methodology lectures, complete assignments and pass teaching practicals.

I got my teaching permit last year, it was a piece of cake. But I had a CELTA, so that made it pretty easy...

For the exact requirements, check the website of the ELT Council.

Yes, it is a piece of cake if you have passed CELTA which takes about 2 years to pass if you do it part-time and it is recognised throughtout the world as it is an international qualification!  The orginal question posed was 'what overseas qualifications are not recognised in Malta'? My answer to the original question was that the  British UKTEFL qualification is not recognised in Malta, even though it is marketed as being recognised in all countries  ;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I did my CELTA in 4 weeks - took time off work to be able to do the intensive course - and it seems it paid off... And for the ELT permit you could also do a TEFL course (part time) here in Malta, I've got several colleagues who did this in addition to their (probably not recognised) teaching qualifications from outside Malta. But yes, you're right, the original question was which qualifications are not recognised...

What about bus drivers

andrew3022 wrote:

What about bus drivers

I would imagine you will need to do a training course over here and as previously advised I believe you have to live here for six months before you can start to work on the buses.  Have you visited Malta?

What I know for a fact is that there are lots of Italians working as bus drivers at the moment - just listened to a conversation between one driving and one on the way to work, one said he was from Sicily, and he mentionned that it was more or less the same as driving in Italy... But I have no idea if they got training here, or how long they'd been here. Maybe best to check on the Malta Public Transport website.
Btw, I don't think I'd want to be a bus driver in Malta...

We have some british bus drivers on Gozo and as well as the locals seem friendlier and more polite then the drivers in Malta from our experience.

Funny enough, when we visited Malta in 2010 the drivers looked like pirates and in one occasion as we got on there was a sign saying Smoking is Prohibited.  Guess who smoked the whole journey, cigar after cigar? Yes, the driver. He was a local and for that smoking style of driving who would need special training?  :D

Hello for everyone. I would like to ask you guys, do you know how everything goes with nursing in Malta? I have finished nursing this year in Lithuania. I have practice in Malta two years ago and now I want to come back and work there. I have read about CNM application that need to apply. But maybe there are here some nurses?  For me very interesting your personal experience. Thank you, waiting some news. And have a  nice day! :)

RE bus drivers, just saw this on facebook:

Are you a Bus Driver? Would you like to work in Sunny Malta?

We are looking for bus driver to join one of the most important companies on the island!

In order to apply you have to be OVER 24 YEAR OF AGE, able to communicate in English, must have had a driving licence for buses category and have got at least 3 YEARS' EXPERIENCE IN DRIVING BUSES.

If you match the requirements, send your ENGLISH CV in WORD FORM with a copy of your driving licence (front and back) to [email protected]

#BusDriver #Malta #EU #Bus #Buses  #Drivers