Recognition of foreign qualifications in Hungary

Hello everyone,

Were your professional qualifications recognised in Hungary? What country did you complete your qualifications in? What profession are you in?

Did you have to go through any formalities to get your qualifications recognised, such as to have them translated?

If your qualifications weren't recognised, were there any additional tests or exams you had to complete before you were able to practice your profession in Hungary or continue with your studies?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.


I have really no idea if most qualifications are valid in Hungary or not.
I have kept up my payments and testing for my cosmetology papers and so far when I go into a professional beauty supply house here in Hungary they let me purchase the "real stuff" from the back room.
I know of 2 other people with hairdressing or cosmetology background who have landed jobs doing hair in Hungary, both different countries.
When I worked in the US as a casino games dealer many of my co-workers had been doctors, vets, even engineers in their home countries, non of their former degrees are worth anything in the US.
My friend in Vegas from Puerto Rico has a "connection" with a dentist who is legal in Mexico but works in the US "undercover" a deal for many people because she charges about half price, of course she is not paying a ton for medical insurance for malpractice.
My son took his Japanese wife there for a check up, said she was good and fair but then again anytime the police could raid the place while your getting a tooth filled.
One of my old friends has a husband from Iran who studied in the US as a engineer, he was building bridges all over Iran but when they moved back to the US he was working in a lower job level as a machinist/ draft person.Not sure why his US schooling didn't account for much after they returned to the US after he studied in the US unless he never fully finished his training or was slack in payments to keep himself in good order with papers.
My husband paid out of pocket for his driving training in HU and it is still valid, in my case I must take a test and pay every 2 years to be in good standing doing hair in the US, all about money.
It all comes down to money and if the gov. is not making a bit off of anyone then it is illegal.
In Hungary my husband is good to drive several professional style vechicles from a bus, a huge lorry, motorbike, trams  taxi's ,not sure if he needs extra papers to drive a nuke or not!
In the US he is only allowed to drive a normal passenger car ,a van within limits. A motorbike etc, needs extra training and papers to drive in the states, a CDL is what they call it for driving a bus etc.
He spent over 6 months back in 1968 in Hungary in a driving school and those papers are still valid as long as he passes his exams every 2 years to drive professionally in Hungary.
As a nearly 70 year old man, he probably will not be riding a Hog or driving a bus but it is still nice to know they honored his past testing and experience.

New topic