Recognition of foreign qualifications in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

Were your professional qualifications recognised in Ecuador? What country did you complete your qualifications in? What profession are you in?

Did you have to go through any formalities to get your qualifications recognised, such as to have them translated?

If your qualifications weren't recognised, were there any additional tests or exams you had to complete before you were able to practice your profession in Ecuador or continue with your studies?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

Four year and post graduate degrees are recognized in Ecuador through registration of translated notarized and if applicable apostilled original Diplomas and final degree awarding transcripts with SENECYST.(Secretary Educacion Nacional ...)

Professional licensing however in a professional career is handled within the profession itself and is self tested and self policed.

The current constitution has now introduced a greater recognition of professional responsibility, fiduciary duty and responsibility and the concept of malpractice is taking on greater bearing and weight.

There is no automatic reciprocity of licensure in Ecuador although in some professions in certain cases and under specific circumstances and situations professional courtesies may be extended. Examples would be law, psychology, medicine.

Real estate is licensed in Ecuador. Corredor des bienes raices is sufficiently different from real estate licensure in other countries that it is not transferable.

Whether errors and ommissions insurance would cover internationally for malpractice is a matter that should never be assumed and should be discussed with one's carrier before making any decision to practice ot represent as a professional in Ecuador or any foreign country.

I never went the professional route, but trust me, US educational institutions far exceed any requirements here.  My Ecuadorian friend is doing an 8 month internship and then will become a lawyer.  I asked her if she had to take a bar exam to be licensed and she had no idea what I was talking about.  Once explained, she was blown away at the idea or concept.  I have 2 bachelors degrees in different majors and a MBA in a specialization.  My guess and from talking to others this is way beyond the scope of what is taught or expected here.  That's why education is cheap here and expensive in the US.  Also why our degrees go so much farther in international job searches.  And my education is one thing no one can ever take away from me.  Worth every penny, and trust me I paid out of pocket for all of it.  None of it was free.

Your friend will be an abogado, which is the equivalent of a solicitor or to begin, a paralegal/clerk. She has acquired what we would consider a baccalaureate. More study and clerkships as well as peer review would be necessary for the next level's attainment.

A law degree from the USA is the level of Doctor Abogado in Ecuador as it is Juris Doctorate, a doctor of philosophy of juris prudencia, with all the rights and privileges thereto pertaining. The appropriate address is Doctor for a man, the feminine Doctora for a woman.

My partner is a Harvard Medical School MD graduate.  Does this meet Ecuadorian standards?

One would imagine that Harvard has made it onto the SENECYST list by now.

Susan,

My husband is a certified public accountant and I am a Family nurse practitioner, does that meet Ecuadorian standards?

@Toni Jamisin Fife

Hello and welcome !

Susan hasn't been active on the website for the past 5 years ... I suggest that you open a new thread on the Ecuador forum to seek advice from active members.

All the best

Bhavna

@Bhavna thank you so much!